PDA

View Full Version : Couple of tranny issues.....

knac1234
01-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Hello all,

After installing my aftermarket washer motor over the weekend (under the reservoir so it looks stock!), I thought I might post a couple of questions about the tranny.

72 SIII.....I've almost clocked 2000 miles since buying it in September, and it has always shifted well (sometimes reverse will crunch a hair, but have had that in other Brit classics).

A couple of issues it has had......

-Twice (I think) during this time, I think it might have gotten stuck in two gears.....as I couldn't get out of gear or into another.

-When decelerating (foot off the gas pedal) it sometimes pops out of second gear.

Tried looking at other threads.....possibly the first issue is the gear lever and the nylon ball at the bottom??? If so, is replacing the lever difficult (I know nothing about internal tranny).

Second issue.....no clue.....I've just held the lever in place when this happens!

Cheers,
Julian

knac1234
01-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Bump---just hoping someone has some insight!! Also, hoping it is something a rookie might have a chance at doing!

J

Jim-ME
01-21-2011, 12:21 PM
When my 2a transmission started poping out of 4th when compression braking it was due to a bad syncro. I'll bet yours is the same issue.
Jim

knac1234
01-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Jim-

Thanks.

I guess it doesn't hurt to keep driving it this way then. At some point, parts will have to be replaced, and to save a bit I can handle holding the handle down in 2nd! Found from the service records last night that a used tranny was put in about 10 years/10K miles ago, and the only issue the old owner had with it was popping out of 2nd! It's lasted that long with no other issues.

Any clues on the shifting and the two gears at once possibility that came up? If someone thinks it is a new shifter with the ball on the bottom, let me know (and some simple instructions to replace too :D).

Julian

Apis Mellifera
01-21-2011, 12:55 PM
I'd check the detent springs and balls first.
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4201

If the springs are very weak (or missing), it would be possible for one of the three shift rod shafts to creep forward or backward enough to engage two gears at once. To describe that as catastrophic would be putting it mildly if that happened while at speed. If the detents are fine, the next likely cause would be a loose shift fork on the shafts. Either way, I'd pull the gearbox tunnel and the top cover to have a look inside before I even tried to put it in gear with the engine running.

knac1234
01-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Apis-

Thanks....read through some of the other threads also.

Looks a bit scary to me, but may at least pull the cover off next weekend when I install my new clocks (tach, clock, and altimeter :D). Not sure if I am brave enough to try it....

How should I tell if these are worn.....or, as they cost not much (looked at RN and BP diagrams and prices), just order all new balls, springs, seals and just attempt to replace them anyway?

Also, any logic to that gearshifter/nylon ball at the bottom idea if I am to order this stuff?

Cheers,
Julian