PDA

View Full Version : Factory series locker?

MerlynIIa
01-17-2011, 04:20 PM
I pulled this diff. out of my parts truck. I couldn't find much on this, there was one shown in a pic on the "Basil, the Land Rover" site. Anyone here have any idea about it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35396922@N06/5365232014/

Thanks

rwollschlager
01-17-2011, 06:54 PM
err, i picked up a locker that looked similar to that this summer. The p/o told me it is a detroit style locker, but manufactured by a different company thats no longer in production. I think he said he got it from atlantic british way back in the day. I'm not sure if this helps.

-Rob

LR Max
01-18-2011, 08:39 AM
I have heard of rovers with Quaiffe (sp?) limited slip differentials.

I think it might be worth some $$$ so :thumb-up: for you.

FYI, if memory serves, Quaiffe usually makes high end stuff so I think if you wanted to keep it, it could be a nice thing to have.

Les Parker
01-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Landrover had these as a factory option, back in the day.
Known as the "Powr-Lock" differential.
I have a copy of the blurb for it, it is referred to as the "Salisbury Powr-Lock Limited Slip Differential".
I'll scan it and post a "sticky" if anyone is interested.

:)

TSR53
01-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Series IIA Powr-Lock Limited Slip PDF as requested.

Les Parker
01-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Thompson,

Thanks, some more of my library going public !!!!

mongoswede
01-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Sweet find. Back in the day when Saab was rallying they had a limited slip diff available that was a Salisbury unit and looks very similar to that. A group of us did a group buy through http://www.racecar.co.uk/gripper/ for the saab 900/99's at about $1000 a pop. They look very similar to what you posted and they work very well.

http://saabrally.com/member-uploads/geoff/Diffs/Assemble%202.jpg

A good clutch pack diff has the advantage of still driving a wheel even if one axle shaft breaks. The problem with the Quaiffe type of limited slips is that they require both wheels to be in contact with the ground and both drive shafts to be intake in order to work. So if you break one side you go nowhere.

Terrys
01-18-2011, 03:22 PM
A slight hijack, but does anyone (like Les perhaps) have any info on the locking rear differential that was available for series trucks ? If I recall there was a knurled knob on the left rear hub. Someone posted a picture of their 109 3 door that had one, and said they believed it was original Land Rover.

MerlynIIa
01-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the replies. As I understand, this type of locker needs special lube? My Mechanic son in law believes you can use regular rear end lube and add a Limited slip diff lube to the regular? I was pleased to find the diff and definitely plan to put it in the Rover. I was pleased to see the link to the Salisbury unit.

again, thanks for the replies.

mongoswede
01-19-2011, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the replies. As I understand, this type of locker needs special lube? My Mechanic son in law believes you can use regular rear end lube and add a Limited slip diff lube to the regular? I was pleased to find the diff and definitely plan to put it in the Rover. I was pleased to see the link to the Salisbury unit.

again, thanks for the replies.

With the Saab diff pictured below, which is also a clutch type LSD, we were told to run any sort of synthetic gear box lube. Some people are running a Redline product. Its likely your diff is old enough that synthetics did not exist but it would probably benefit from a synthetic lube. You might want to pull the diff apart and inspect the components. The belleville washers that help provide preload can wear or crack with use and if the unit has a lot of miles on it the plates can wear.

carl k
01-28-2011, 04:48 PM
The Land Rover version of the Powr-Lok was based on the Dana 25/27. I have one which had broken cross-shafts when the prior owner forgot to add friction modifier. I got some used cross-shafts from someone here on these boards, but recently noticed that Herm the Overdrive Guy has remade the cross shafts.

Carl K.