PDA

View Full Version : Defender or hybrid?

Eatoniashoprat
01-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Hi everyone,
This is my introductory post and I'm just getting into the world of land rovers. I don't own any but growing up spent a lot of time with a 'land rover family' and I understand what they are about. After several years building chevs and then volkswagens I'd now like a Land Rover.

What I want is a LWB, coil sprung and diesel. Defender, series whichever. It will be my daily driver and see off-roading as well. (can be scratched/dented I don't really care). We have another 'family car' so this won't need to be 'the one reliable car'.

I'm very familiar with engine swaps, fab work and such things so here's my question, Do I...

Keep my eye out for ex-mod diesel (just missed a 110 for around $6000). OR

I have access to a 1997 disco chassis ($1500). Buy a 109, and then decide on tdi (landy or VW), cummins, etc. total cost $8000? (currently sitting under totalled RR body)

I didn't really want a project right now since I'm coming down from one but would do it if I couldn't find a beat up defender for the right price. I'll be putting up an ad in wanted section to see what I can find.

Thoughts? Ins/outs of either option for driver? Hybrid more work than its worth for what I want?

Mike

mongoswede
01-19-2011, 06:45 PM
The disco and rangie chassis are both 100" wheelbase and I think the LWB model range rover is 107". So if you want a lwb you will have to lengthen a stock disco frame. Its always nicer when you can by a rover that is useable and then drive it for a bit. I will give you an idea what needs fixing and what you want to change.

Hi everyone,
This is my introductory post and I'm just getting into the world of land rovers. I don't own any but growing up spent a lot of time with a 'land rover family' and I understand what they are about. After several years building chevs and then volkswagens I'd now like a Land Rover.

What I want is a LWB, coil sprung and diesel. Defender, series whichever. It will be my daily driver and see off-roading as well. (can be scratched/dented I don't really care). We have another 'family car' so this won't need to be 'the one reliable car'.

I'm very familiar with engine swaps, fab work and such things so here's my question, Do I...

Keep my eye out for ex-mod diesel (just missed a 110 for around $6000). OR

I have access to a 1997 disco chassis ($1500). Buy a 109, and then decide on tdi (landy or VW), cummins, etc. total cost $8000? (currently sitting under totalled RR body)

I didn't really want a project right now since I'm coming down from one but would do it if I couldn't find a beat up defender for the right price. I'll be putting up an ad in wanted section to see what I can find.

Thoughts? Ins/outs of either option for driver? Hybrid more work than its worth for what I want?

Mike

Skookumchuck
01-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Was that the D110 in Calgary? The guy still has 2 other 110's and a Series III 109. I just bought a D90 from him that my kid is going to rebuild. I know of a couple of other 110's with the 2.5 NA diesel in them that you might be able to get just shoot me a PM and I will give you the contaact info. Welcome to the faternity.:eek:

Eatoniashoprat
01-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Was that the D110 in Calgary? The guy still has 2 other 110's and a Series III 109. I just bought a D90 from him that my kid is going to rebuild. I know of a couple of other 110's with the 2.5 NA diesel in them that you might be able to get just shoot me a PM and I will give you the contaact info. Welcome to the faternity.:eek:

Thanks Skookumchuk I sent you a PM

Mongoswede - I agree much less headache if the thing runs and drives already and you're just making changes as opposed to building from scracth, especially if its my first LR.

Mike