PDA

View Full Version : gearbox confusion

cousindave
01-20-2011, 10:23 AM
I located the number off the side of gearbox so I could order the reverse idler gear(which is missing all the teeth!) and the numbers were all stamped out except fort the letter "D". When I looked inside the gearbox the reverse idler has the brass bushing and not the needle bearings. What gives? Any ideas? Am I incorrect in thinking that the suffix D gearbox has the needle bearing reverse idler gear? How can I check what type of gearbox this is?

I Leak Oil
01-20-2011, 11:29 AM
SIIa or SIII tranny?

cousindave
01-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Series III gearbox

cousindave
01-24-2011, 12:38 PM
I found a receipt hat the PO had saved. Apparently, this is a series III gearbox purchased in 2003 from england. Now my question is; could this be a series IIA gearbox case with series III gears and is there a way to tell by looking at the case?

I Leak Oil
01-25-2011, 08:05 AM
It's quite common to update the SIIa boxes from suff. C to the later D or E parts. The stamped out numbers are probably a good indicator that who ever rebuilt it has updated it from an earlier suffix. I don't think there's any way to tell 100% visually that it is either SIIa or SIII. Is it a fully synchro box or to you have to double clutch 1st to 2nd? I haven't tried it but I imagine there's a possibility that whoever rebuilt it used the bronze bushed idler and shaft. Just order what's in there and refit it.