PDA

View Full Version : ignition, starter or solenoid?

cousindave
01-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Yesterday, went for a drive in my series III. Stopped at a local coffe shop, went outside, started the landy and starter would not stop spinning after she started. I shut her off and restarted her several times until the starter finally disengaged. Luckily there was an advance auto about 1/2mile away. I purchased a starter solenoid for a four cylinder jeep. I headed home and installed the solenoid. I inserted the key turned to position 1 and the starter began cranking. It did this several times until I was able to get the starter to start normally. But still it will not disengage. (I don't know if that makes any sense) I checked all the wires and connections for corrosion or fried wires every thing looks good. The ignition switch is three months old. I''ve done online searches and there are conflicting answers. Depending on which one you read, it ' s either the ign switch starter or solenoid. Since I just replaced the ign switch and solenoid I want to lean towards the starter. But to me that makes no sense. One other thing: While the series III was running I pulled the white and red wire that runs from ign switch to solenoid and it did not disengage starter. I'm inclined to believe that would be the solenoid, but this thing is new. Could it be defective? Or could it be the ign switch? Thanks sorry for the long question

artpeck
01-23-2011, 10:41 AM
A little confused by your problem description. Are you saying that when you release the key from starting position the starter motor keeps going? Just trying to be precise to get to the bottom of it.

cousindave
01-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Sorry about that. Yes

I Leak Oil
01-23-2011, 11:12 AM
You've replaced the solenoid and it's still doing the same thing? Probably the key switch.

cousindave
01-23-2011, 11:51 AM
I put in an old solenoid an now she works! I guess the new solenoid is defective! Cheap crap! Buddy of mine works at a local napa and he said that the last few years car parts are all junk. Especially the electronics.

bkreutz
01-23-2011, 12:52 PM
One thought I always keep in mind is: "There's a reason new parts come with a warranty"!

cousindave
01-23-2011, 02:49 PM
LOL

LaneRover
01-24-2011, 09:03 AM
I put in an old solenoid an now she works! I guess the new solenoid is defective! Cheap crap! Buddy of mine works at a local napa and he said that the last few years car parts are all junk. Especially the electronics.

Because many new parts come from China. Now, the Chinese can make some really good stuff BUT the reason companies are getting things made in China is for supposed cost reasons - thus they are getting things done on the cheap.

When you factor in shipping, problems in getting it right and so on companies really don't save a lot getting things made in China.

Donnie
01-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Yesterday, went for a drive in my series III. Stopped at a local coffe shop, went outside, started the landy and starter would not stop spinning after she started. I shut her off and restarted her several times until the starter finally disengaged. Luckily there was an advance auto about 1/2mile away. I purchased a starter solenoid for a four cylinder jeep. I headed home and installed the solenoid. I inserted the key turned to position 1 and the starter began cranking. It did this several times until I was able to get the starter to start normally. But still it will not disengage. (I don't know if that makes any sense) I checked all the wires and connections for corrosion or fried wires every thing looks good. The ignition switch is three months old. I''ve done online searches and there are conflicting answers. Depending on which one you read, it ' s either the ign switch starter or solenoid. Since I just replaced the ign switch and solenoid I want to lean towards the starter. But to me that makes no sense. One other thing: While the series III was running I pulled the white and red wire that runs from ign switch to solenoid and it did not disengage starter. I'm inclined to believe that would be the solenoid, but this thing is new. Could it be defective? Or could it be the ign switch? Thanks sorry for the long question
From your description, I would guess the sol. is your problem..The manu.'s R using aluminum instead of copper now & have been 4 years........Buy any NOS parts that U can locate.
This applies to OEM parts too, not just aftermkt.