PDA

View Full Version : Vent seals

stonefox
01-23-2011, 11:05 AM
So I have two sets of vent seals One of the old style and one of the new.In trying the old style it felt like I was going to snap the hinges off the vents while trying to get them closed.Hence me ordering a set of the Defender seals. I'm not sure how they attach to the vents,are the Defender seals glued to the vents ?And if so whats the best adhesive?
One other question I think I remember someone mentioning being able to have a rattle can of spray paint custom made to a matched color is this so? If so who might do this.

I Leak Oil
01-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Yes Sean, the defender seals glue to the vents. I've always had good luck with the rubber weather strip adhesive found at NAPA. Lot's of body shops can now mix you up a rattle can of whatever color you want. Give them a paint code or some can even color match what you've got on there now.

stonefox
01-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Yes Sean, the defender seals glue to the vents. I've always had good luck with the rubber weather strip adhesive found at NAPA. Lot's of body shops can now mix you up a rattle can of whatever color you want. Give them a paint code or some can even color match what you've got on there now.
Thanks Jason, I was hoping to get a can of faded "sandstone"or was the original color named "limestone"? made up so I could hit a few spots like under those old vent seals.

TedW
01-23-2011, 12:01 PM
One other question I think I remember someone mentioning being able to have a rattle can of spray paint custom made to a matched color is this so? If so who might do this.

I got mine from towerpaint.com. Ask for Land Rover Limestone (DuPont code 38505A).

Tower Paint had a fire a while back but is now back in business. Very professional and high quality.

siii8873
01-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Sean,
not sure how exact of a match your looking for. I have been using some iron guard 935 available at case tractor dealers. It's close enough for me.

John O from Jersey
01-23-2011, 12:52 PM
If you're looking for Land Rover Limestone, Rustoleum's "Almond" is a dead ringer for it.

JO

stonefox
01-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the paint info.
Are series iii vent seals the same as the Defender seals.RN sent me seals marked series iii.I'm finding them no more easy to install than the series ii seals. If the III and the defenders are the same what side goes out? I'm hoping I was sent the wrong ones and the defender seals are as easy to install as others have posted.

I Leak Oil
01-23-2011, 01:33 PM
I don't think SIII seals and Def. seals are the same. I don't think your truck is limestone either. It's got more red in it than limestone does.

stonefox
01-23-2011, 02:33 PM
I don't think SIII seals and Def. seals are the same. I don't think your truck is limestone either. It's got more red in it than limestone does.
I agree on the paint .Do you think its a factory color? It shows no signs of another color under the worn areas.

I Leak Oil
01-23-2011, 03:51 PM
It's factory, I just can't remember what the name of it is.