PDA

View Full Version : shifting a series IIa

woodman1
01-23-2011, 06:51 PM
I have a 63 series IIa. How does one get from 1st to second or third to second without grinding gears? Any advice is appreciated.

jac04
01-23-2011, 07:07 PM
You need to double-clutch.
If you are traveling in 1st gear, and want to shift to 2nd:
Depress clutch pedal
shift to neutral
release clutch pedal
depress clutch pedal
shift to 2nd
release clutch pedal

Same for 3rd to 2nd, or 2nd to 1st.

rbbailey
01-23-2011, 07:13 PM
I've never had trouble going from 1 - 2.

But even after years of driving, I still can't get it to go from 3 - 2 properly, unless I'm at or below 5 mph... which I don't know if that is normal.

Jim-ME
01-23-2011, 07:43 PM
When downshifting blip the gas pedal when in neutral with the clutch engaged.
jim

rbbailey
01-23-2011, 11:36 PM
When downshifting blip the gas pedal when in neutral with the clutch engaged.
jim

Small blip, big blip, medium blip, no blip, blip with double clutch, 3rd blip clutch down to 2nd, blip with double clutch bump to 3rd then to 2nd, no blip bump to 3rd down to second, double clutch then blip then to 2nd, blip after double clutch from 4th, bump to 3rd, revs down, then blip, big blip, small blip....

Grinds a bit every time, never slides in unless I'm nearly at a crawl.

Like I said, it goes from 1st to 2nd very cleanly. And going into first after a bump to 3rd is nice and clean.

jimrr
01-24-2011, 12:50 AM
this question is a joke right? It is so commendable having a 'enthusiast' being a Land Rover fan but what's this about figuring how to shift?,, even a worn out full syncro?????????????????????????

LaneRover
01-24-2011, 09:22 AM
this question is a joke right? It is so commendable having a 'enthusiast' being a Land Rover fan but what's this about figuring how to shift?,, even a worn out full syncro?????????????????????????

If all you have ever driven is full syncro boxes then one without a syncro can present a small learning curve.

Personally I have never double clutched. I just wait a moment. Most of the time from 1st to 2nd I don't even use the clutch. Just as I am coming off the throttle I pull it out of 1st, I wait a moment and then put it into 2nd. It takes a bit of learning the timing but once you get the timing down it is really easy.

But even when using the clutch, I just wait a moment before putting it into 2nd.

Burlsube
01-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Good luck... A few months ago I asked a similar question. Search for a thread called "downshifting" It was an animated discussion. The folks at GnR got a kick out of it. We all need to start somewhere though.

rbbailey
01-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Well, I should qualify my post -- I've owned this truck twice. The first time I owned it, I don't remember having this issue once I figured out the double clutch thing. Not to say that I never missed it, but I don't remember it grinding more than say... 20% of the times I downshifted.

So this is why I'm confused about why I can't seem to get it right now.

I Leak Oil
01-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Good luck... A few months ago I asked a similar question. Search for a thread called "downshifting" It was an animated discussion. The folks at GnR got a kick out of it. We all need to start somewhere though.

I haven't posted on GnR for a while now. The atmosphere there just wasn't the same since it moved. Don't get me wrong, theres lots of good people there, most are here as well. I'm alright with redundant questions or what I would consider easy questions. If I'm not interested I just don't read them, it's that simple.
As far as shifting a IIa tranny...lots of practice.....and sometime you still miss a gear!

JackIIA
01-25-2011, 12:02 PM
I was taught to ALWAYS hit the gas between (and out of gears), not just when downshifting to double clutch.

Which is it and why.

(I had assumed it was to give the flywheel side of things an assist when engaging the next gear).

Donnie
01-25-2011, 04:04 PM
I was taught to ALWAYS hit the gas between (and out of gears), not just when downshifting to double clutch.

Which is it and why.

(I had assumed it was to give the flywheel side of things an assist when engaging the next gear).
Jack, on this trans. when you shift a gear, the gear on the mainshaft must slide onto the countershaft gear.. the countershaft gears do not move..So the idea is to get the speed of both gears turning about the same speed & they will slide together. practice the intensity of your "blips".....vehicle speed in involved in this process too. only the mainshaft gears slide, the countershaft gears spin only and do not move fore & aft.......when U let the clutch out in neutral in this manuver & blip the throttle U R speeding up the countershaft and the speed of the mainshaft is being determined by the rear wheel or vehicle speed...PRACTICE until U get both equal..HTH........donnie

JackIIA
01-26-2011, 11:20 AM
OK, getting a visual now Donnie, thanks. I'm assuming by countershaft you're talking layshaft.

Alaskan Rover
01-26-2011, 09:13 PM
You need to double-clutch.
If you are traveling in 1st gear, and want to shift to 2nd:
Depress clutch pedal
shift to neutral
release clutch pedal
depress clutch pedal
shift to 2nd
release clutch pedal

Same for 3rd to 2nd, or 2nd to 1st.

LOL...I've driven my series IIA for 24 years now and who knows how many thousands of miles and have NEVER double-clutched it going from 1st to 2nd, and it is a standard non-synchro IIA tranny just like all the other series IIAs. That just shows you how incredibly strong rover trannys and clutches are, I suppose. I'm knocking on wood as I write these words, of course, lest I jinx my transmission.

JimCT
01-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Why don't you double clutch? It is a straight cut 1st and 2nd gear?

LaneRover
01-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Why don't you double clutch? It is a straight cut 1st and 2nd gear?

Personally it is because I have never had to. I find waiting a moment does the same thing. It may not do the exact same thing but I seem to get the exact same result.

Alaskan Rover
01-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Personally it is because I have never had to. I find waiting a moment does the same thing. It may not do the exact same thing but I seem to get the exact same result.

Same here. I just give it an extra moment between 1st and 2nd while the clutch pedal is depressed...it's like sorta finaggling the gears...wishing them into place, as it were. I've seldom ground the gears doing it this way.

Granted, it DOES take longer. People behind me seem to always be in a hurry, but as anybody knows...land-rovers travel at their own damn pace and must never be rushed...especially not by some nervous cell-phone gabbing dolt behind me in a Lexus.

futurafalcon
01-28-2011, 09:03 PM
The only time I use first is when I'm deep in the woods going up or down a steep hill.

Driving in town I don't use first and always start off in second.

If I want to see what it's like to start off in first I just have to remember how short it is before I shift to second.

Down shifting from third to second? I'd like to learn.

JimCT
01-28-2011, 10:36 PM
This confuses me, they were designed to be double clutched in 1st and 2nd, why not just do it?

stomper
01-29-2011, 06:42 AM
land-rovers travel at their own damn pace and must never be rushed...especially not by some nervous cell-phone gabbing dolt behind me in a Lexus.[/QUOTE]

Easy there tiger! I own a '66 Land Rover AND a Lexus GX470. :D

LaneRover
01-29-2011, 12:42 PM
This confuses me, they were designed to be double clutched in 1st and 2nd, why not just do it?

But if you don't have to then why do it? If I was grinding the gears all the time I would worry about it. But I don't. Sometimes I don't even use the clutch when shifting.