PDA

View Full Version : Rear tank for an 88"?

Tim Smith
04-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Probably a dumb question but was there ever a rear fuel tank for an 88?

Smells like my under seat tanks are leaking (again...) and I'm curious if it's ever been done. It's a little more appealing to have the tank in the back and I think the 90" had a rear tank but I could be wrong.

Cheers!

KevinNY
04-02-2007, 09:35 PM
I believe I saw a writeup somehwhere where a guy moved his muffler and put a CJ tank in the back.

Chris McKnight
04-02-2007, 11:03 PM
I've been wanting to do this for a while. I found a guy (Bill something?) somewhere (OVLR?) who had done this with a jeep tank. He emailed pictures and a description of what he'd done to make it happen. I picked up a filler neck a while back, but have not gotten around to it making it happen yet...

I think the main idea is to take a CJ tank (with the choice of metal or plastic), and create a basic metal carrier to attach it to the frame. I think he just welded a couple tabs to the frame and made an angle iron bar to sling between the two. He then bolted the tank to this bar. I recall the rear of the tank simply bolting to the rear crossmember, similar to a D110 tank. This might be an ideal situation to just fab up a tank skid plate which acts as a tank carrier too. I think I remember this guy sticking a jeep filler on the rear of the truck. I plan on sticking the Land Rover filler about where it is on a D90. He used a smallish (1"?) hose to connect it to the tank. The small hose allows you to stuff it between the top of the frame rail and the bottom of the tub. If you were to use a LR filler, you'd need to create a way to reduce the giant leaded filler neck to a smaller hose--no big deal.

If you want some details that are a bit more concrete, I can post up what this fella sent me. It's on the other computer somewhere.

Chris

Oh, yeah, as Kevin implied, you'll have to move the exhaust. I think there's room to keep a similar setup by moving the muffler forward so it's just behind the crossmember that's right behind the TC. It's been a while since I did the research, but yeah--it can be done and it has been done.

Tim Smith
04-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Cool, thanks guys!

J!m
04-03-2007, 11:05 AM
There is always the custom tank option...

I made a stainless water tank for my shower which sits behind the left rear wheel of my 110. All I did was make a cardboard mock-up, bring it to my local fabricator (in that case, it was in West Virginia) and they made it up for me out of Stainless Steel. I modeled it after the "piggy-back" 10-gallon fuel tank I got from Mantec, which sits behind the other rear wheel, replacing the filler hose with a tank (about a 550 mile range now). For my tank, it has a drain, which aligns with the pick-up tube in side for easy cleaning. I also have the filler opening inside the truck, so no one can contaminate my water with fuel, or anything else for that matter. The filler is below the thick rubber mat inside, so I can still stack things on top if I want to. I ended up with about 11 gallons capacity, or 4 showers (if you're frugal).

So, you can make a tank which works around the PTO if you want to retain the option, or around the muffler (or not). Then just have it made of aluminum or stainless, so there are no rust issues in the future. You will get maximum capacity this way, and the bottom of the tank can be made of heavy material to have an integrated skid plate, and reduce complexity.

The Jeep option is nice, in that it is already set-up for a filler, sender and venting. These have to be added to a custom tank; however you now have control over what is where and what size it is...

Free tip: Use a sealed cap, and raise the tank vent to the top of the truck to prevent water in the fuel when fording...

leafsprung
04-03-2007, 12:03 PM
I have a 20 gallon tank in the back of my 88. The issue is where to put a muffler. Luckly the turbo muffles the exaust noise nicley.

-Ike

Rat Patrol
04-03-2007, 06:20 PM
have you checked Land Rover Addict?

I posted the same question there.

The solution is to use a Jeep setup. You need to add a second filler and install a heat shield around the tank, such as a skid plate.

I believe there are pis or a link to pics on LandRovers Only forum.

I have yet to do the conversion becasue Gerry cans work for me:D

leafsprung
04-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Just make your own tank, the jeep tank is junk.

Tim Smith
04-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the ideas folks.

If I ever get the time, I'm going to try and make a tank as I like the idea of integrating a skid plate and getting every gallon possible out of the limited space. Unfortunately my welding skills need a lot of polishing so I'll file this project under 'Feeling Adventurous'.
:p

yorker
04-04-2007, 11:56 AM
TAW has had this mod on her website for a long time, I'm surprised no one posted the link:
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/88rearTank.htm
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LR.images/88rearTank2.jpg
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LR.images/88rearTank1.jpg

singingcamel
04-04-2007, 01:58 PM
the only really big problem when you add a rear gas tank is the re routing of the exhaust.
as you are probably well aware of ,the muffler is sitting where the tank will go.
always a little anxious about the exhaust so close to the fuel cell, scarry in fact...:eek:

yorker
04-04-2007, 08:32 PM
the only really big problem when you add a rear gas tank is the re routing of the exhaust.
as you are probably well aware of ,the muffler is sitting where the tank will go.
always a little anxious about the exhaust so close to the fuel cell, scarry in fact...:eek:

Have you ever looked at how close it is on some modern cars?

You can always reconfigure the exhaust to side exit like on a Willys jeep, if done right you can reconfigure it to avoid having the portion that goes beneath the bulkhead cross-member as well. There are a variety of safe ways to do it if you think about it and are able to bend up your own exhaust.

PH4
04-05-2007, 11:00 AM
I know that British Northwest made an aftermarket rear tank specifically for the 88. No idea how $? I have a 62 109 3 door with two tanks (one under both front seats). The one on the left I believe is a military and appears much stronger and larger than the normal Rover underseat gas tank. May be an option for you. Good luck.

singingcamel
04-05-2007, 11:03 AM
i sure have, the original exhaust is still the best. mounts well and stays put. and is out of the way!!
the diameter of the exhaust is important as well,if you redo the exhaust.
add another tank on the drivers side, you will be better off..

sayers
04-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Whar year do you have ? I just replaced my tank on my 74 88 and it was a piece of cake, little did I know that there was also a small tank under the drivers seat for emission control. If your 88 has the smog stuff on it you might check on this first, just a thought.

fruitpunch
04-05-2007, 05:05 PM
I agree with the Singing Jamal, get double front tanks why bother with figuring out how to put it in the rear when it is all available with Land Rover parts.

2 x 12.5 gallons or so..... should even with a 2.25 give you decent max range. I haven't been able to drive thru emptying both of my tanks without stopping.

You can set it up with the military dual switch or any other way, may be the only thing that is bit of a pain is the smell of diesel or fryer oil on my truck.

But then it's a Rover and not a Super Useless Vehicle.......... the smell attracks the right owners.....

LaneRover
04-05-2007, 05:49 PM
When driving my 109 ex-mil p-up across the country a few years ago I would get about 180 miles out of each tankful. So every 300-340 miles I would fill up both.

The engine was one of the British Military re-built engines sold by our host a few years ago and I had a Fairey overdrive in it.

LaneRover

fruitpunch
04-06-2007, 09:56 AM
340 miles sounds about right for the 2.25 from my gas powered days, now I am more like 550 miles but not done a very long trip yet and waiting to install my O/D yet also, hoping to reach 600 mile range and I always have the 5 gallon jerry can ready.

leafsprung
04-06-2007, 10:36 AM
I agree with the Singing Jamal, get double front tanks why bother with figuring out how to put it in the rear when it is all available with Land Rover parts.

Because:

1) 20 gals is better than 11
2) the fillers can be placed on the same side
3) you use space which is otherwise wasted
4) you retain your underseat toolbox
5) you can add 3 tanks if you REALLY need range
6) its less expensive than buying all the genuine parts for a dual tank setup
7) you can make it out of thicker material so that a skid plate is not needed

I have a 900 mile range in my 88 without jerrycans on two tanks. Just because its not a bolt on doesnt mean its not worthwhile.

Tim Smith
04-06-2007, 10:50 AM
What year do you have ? I just replaced my tank on my 74 88 and it was a piece of cake, little did I know that there was also a small tank under the drivers seat for emission control. If your 88 has the smog stuff on it you might check on this first, just a thought.
I have a 74' as well but it's a lightweight. As far as I know they never made an outside fill for the lightweight so this is part of the reason for a rear tank. I've had these tanks out before to epoxy up the leaks but obviously something has cracked again. Not surprising considering these tanks are probably as old as the truck is.

I've also bought some RRC seats that I will be installing soon. Since they are one piece seats (no lifting seat base) and electric etc.. I am also hoping to take this as an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. Bird one is the nauseous smell of gasoline every time I hit a bumpy road because of said leaks. Bird two is to have an exterior filler.

2 x 12.5 gallons or so..... should even with a 2.25 give you decent max range. I haven't been able to drive thru emptying both of my tanks without stopping.
You can set it up with the military dual switch or any other way, may be the only thing that is bit of a pain is the smell of diesel or fryer oil on my truck.
But then it's a Rover and not a Super Useless Vehicle.......... the smell attracts the right owners.....
Yup, already got the double tanks but as I said they are stinky leaker's… Since the truck has already been messed with a bit I'm not really looking for originality here, just usability. I'm happy also with the range of the truck but it would be nice to increase the capacity if it's possible. Driving through different states for events, I like to give myself the chance to fill up in the cheap states instead of every state.

You are however eluding to a set up I'd love to be running. Fryer Oil rocks but I need a diesel first.

fruitpunch
04-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Off topic, I got one of those Alessi Tea Cattles.....

Tim Smith
04-11-2007, 11:46 AM
Off topic, I got one of those Alessi Tea Cattles.....

There is a reason why I chose this picture as my avatar other than the fact that I like tea... See if you can figure out why. He he he.

I think I found it on a site which was explaining how NOT to take pictures of your products for ebay.:p Gotta love the web!

fruitpunch
04-12-2007, 11:49 AM
hmmm I bought mine on ebay

Tim Smith
04-12-2007, 12:06 PM
hmmm I bought mine on ebay
I hope it wasn't from this guy... (sorry, lots of ugly advertisements on this site)

http://www.funlol.com/funpages/dontebay*****.html

<ducking from moderator>

fruitpunch
04-12-2007, 07:52 PM
lol funny mine came with a brass whistle

[more ducking.....]