PDA

View Full Version : Series 1 Brakes-will later Series II/IIA or III fit?

Bilbo42
01-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Hi. I am fairly new to the Series 1. I have a 1957 Series 1 with 10" brakes. My wheel cylinders, brakes shoes and pads, pull off springs and flex brakes lines are shot. By drums and the solid lines on the vehilce are OK. And at this point, my master cylinder and supply tank assembly seem in good order. I really would rather not have to pay a million in shipping if I can get something over here. My question is: Which later Series wheel cylinder like the Genuine LR or Proline (or both) that I see on the Rovers North site, will fit my Series 1 brake anchor plate assembly AND work properly or have any modifications got to be done to fit AND work correctly. If a later wheel cylinder will work, I assume the newer Series shoes, pads, springs and flex hoses will fit the newer wheel cylinders AND work together ion my brake anchor plate and nside my drums. Maybe this is a question for someone from RN but I also wanted to get anyone's feedback that may have done this to a Series1. Disclaimer: I did try to search the forum and I didn't really find enough info not to have to ask the question. I am sorry if it has been asked before and I missed it! Best regards, Bilbo

gudjeon
01-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Series 1, 88" brake parts will be the same as ser2&3 (or at least fit). The only differing part will be the master cylinder. Wheel cylinders are the same as are the flexi-hoses and brake hardware (springs, etc). All is the same at each wheel as a ser2 and 3 88" brake parts. At least that's how I built mine.

The original CB master cylinder will be a three hole flange master cylinder mast of cast iron and have a large nut on the end. Later ser2 master cyl's have two holes. There is a kit that can "update" a ser1 to take a ser2 master cyl. If the original is reusable, a seal kit is not very much money. There are outfits that can re-sleeve them in stainless. See LRSOC to find out this through their search. An original ser1 master cylinder is very difficult, if not impossible, to procure and is very expensive if it can be found for sale.

westcoastkevin
01-27-2011, 08:23 AM
Bilbo42,
Paddock Spares in england has some great deals going. Even with shipping, this could be a good deal.
http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/SPECIAL_OFFERS/Series/Brake_Overhaul_Kit_-_SWB_to_1981.html

Bilbo42
01-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Thanks you guys for the info. I think I am finally making progress. I have been able to spend enough time at the vehicle learning what I have and don't have and beginning to find my way around what is on the net regarding Series 1 stuff. You know though, nothing beats being able to get in touch with you folks and just ask a question and have so many people eager to help. Best regards, Bilbo

Les Parker
01-28-2011, 07:43 AM
Our hosts have all the parts for the Series I or IIa/III brakes on the shelf and ready to ship !