PDA

View Full Version : no spark, help!

rcossey
01-27-2011, 02:28 PM
95 disco wont start. have fuel to the fuel rail. just changed the ignition coil. it has a positive and negative trminals on it. dont know if its polarity sensative. checked spark on the main wire going to the dist. cap. dont know what to check next. any advice would help. thanks.

singingcamel
01-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Take the coil wire of the dizzy cap and ground it, while turning it over, do you have spark?
Check your connection at the coil .
Did it run before you changed the coil?

rcossey
01-28-2011, 04:28 PM
new to this. im guessing dizzy cap is distributor cap. yes i took the center wire going to the cap and tried to ground it while turning over, no spark. im getting about 7 volts dc to the coil with the key in aux. 2. not sure what it should be. i took the wires off the coil and checked them for voltage and put the positive on the pos. terminal. only two of the four have voltage. im guessing the other two are recieving voltage.

rcossey
01-28-2011, 04:30 PM
yes it was running good. i changed out the radiator b/c i was having overheating. ran good for about two weeks. parked it for like four days, went to restart and nothing.

joshua.mcguoirk
02-01-2011, 11:41 AM
new to this. im guessing dizzy cap is distributor cap. yes i took the center wire going to the cap and tried to ground it while turning over, no spark. im getting about 7 volts dc to the coil with the key in aux. 2. not sure what it should be. i took the wires off the coil and checked them for voltage and put the positive on the pos. terminal. only two of the four have voltage. im guessing the other two are recieving voltage.

Being that you got no spark to ground from the lead wire. I'd pull the cap... and check the underside and rotor for corrosion. An old quick additive was to lightly spray the underside of the cap with WD-40 to remove any moisture... then recheck for spark.

Lastly... I recall the coil needing 12V.

rcossey
02-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Thanks ill try that.

singingcamel
05-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Did you get any spark from grounding the coil wire? If no spark, you either have a bad coil or a bad ignition module..