PDA

View Full Version : Military crankshaft pulley removal

masonater
01-30-2011, 12:26 PM
I've searched all the threads with the word "pulley" and all seem to focus on a different set up than i have. I would like to take off the crankshaft pulley so i can clean it up for powder coat but i've been staring at it for 2 days trying to think of some way to remove it. All the giant wrenches, adjustable wrenches, pipe wrenches, ect just dont seem to be doing the trick. I attached a picture to be clear of what set up i have, RN told me there is a special tool but it is NLA. Im sure someone on here has come up with something that works. The motor is out and on a stand to i can stop it from turning thats all i got. Any help would be appreciated

cousindave
01-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Is there any way to get a srew driver or bar in that hole? You might have to heat up the screw driver to bend it to get it in.

jac04
01-30-2011, 02:20 PM
You could always cut off the cone part, then use an impact wrench with a socket.

masonater
01-30-2011, 03:05 PM
You could always cut off the cone part, then use an impact wrench with a socket.

I thought about using a screw driver and adding a bend, i already bent some old bolts i had laying around and that didnt work, i feel that a screwdriver would do the same.

Jac,
That is a really good idea, although id hate to saw it off. But if it comes to that im busting out the sawzall. I guess i could always weld it back on for the heck of it.

SafeAirOne
01-30-2011, 03:25 PM
I forget exactly what the name for this type of wrench is but they are out there and available (they're not rover-specific). I think the round part is actually hinged where it meets the handle, but I can't recall 100% if that's true or not.

The tab fits in the hole on the crankshaft nut (sorry for the crude drawing):

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5260/5401850991_a560d21c54.jpg

You could probably make one pretty easily too.
How? Go to home depot, get a piece of flat barstock and cut an appropriate size circle out of one end,
then weld an appropriate bolt to it to serve as the tab that will fit in the hole on the nut:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5300/5402471336_f6453a3307.jpg

jac04
01-30-2011, 03:53 PM
I forget exactly what the name for this type of wrench is...
It is called a "hook wrench" or sometimes a "hook spanner wrench". Google will give you quite a few places to buy them.

masonater- Does the conical piece unscrew from the starter dog? If so, you may be able to get it off with a hook wrench. If not, my experience is that you will need an impact wrench to get that starter dog off.

masonater
01-30-2011, 04:04 PM
It is called a "hook wrench" or sometimes a "hook spanner wrench". Google will give you quite a few places to buy them.

masonater- Does the conical piece unscrew from the starter dog? If so, you may be able to get it off with a hook wrench. If not, my experience is that you will need an impact wrench to get that starter dog off.

I like the idea of making one like in the above post, i have lots of junk metal around here i bet i can come up with something.

Jac, no it is welded on to the starter dog. Ill try making something first if that doesn't go well ill try cutting the cone off and then the good old impact gun.

thanks again

Terrys
01-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Have you completely lost you mind Jeff? Do you know how in-demand the MOD starter dog is? It beats the s**t out of struggling to get the crank into the civi starter dog.

jac04
01-30-2011, 05:09 PM
^^ Not that I know of Terry, but if you see it roaming around please let me know. (well, I guess you just did). :thumb-up:
Never had much trouble gettin' my crank into a civvy starter dog.

Terrys
01-30-2011, 06:16 PM
If you did, Jeff, they will find it when the snow melts.
Mason, I have a box of pin spanners and hook spanners, fixed and adjustable. I will have a poke tomorrow. You're welcome to borrow one. What's the diameter of the shank, behind the cone?

SafeAirOne
01-30-2011, 06:35 PM

Ahh...that's it. You jogged the old memory. It's an adjustable pin spanner (the hook-variety spanner won't work as it has a flat, not a pin to engage the hole, but it's otherwise the same). Like these (http://www.jhwilliamstoolgroup.com/DSN/wwwjhwilliamstoolgroupcom/Commerce/ProductImages/pdf002330.pdf) (PDF catalog page) that are available through Reid Supply (http://www.reidsupply.com/GrpResults.aspx?st=HOOK+SPANNER&pid=0&aitm=HT-24&apid=0).

I admit to cringing a bit when I read about sawing the cone off. But it's not my rover, so...

cousindave
01-30-2011, 06:59 PM
A part pipe wrench,like those used in water main installations would tan that right off problem is it would leve some nasty shark bites on the cone, but you could always repair that.

rickv100
01-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Is there a picture of what the correct tool is? You could always fabricate something similar if you know what you need to make.

Rick

masonater
01-31-2011, 12:07 AM
I decided im not going to sleep until i got this thing off, glad i did because its late. I ended up making a tool out of scrap metal and an old bolt. To my amazement it came off the first time i used it. I took a piece of angle iron about 2 feet long, cut out a groove to fit around the cone and then welded a bolt i chopped up to hook into the hole on the cone, hit it with a BFH and off it came! I high fived myself then bead blasted the the stubborn parts and will powder coat tomorrow. In fact the tool worked so well im going to powder coat it too.

Thanks for everyones help!

Mason

Lalo88DK
01-31-2011, 12:27 AM
Heres an alternative method, (german I think) do remember to remove sparkplugs before doing this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZF-A1_HTlU&feature=player_embedded

Oh and look out for the very loud scratch noises in the end of the clip :eek:, but this method should work, I have a friend who tried it.

SafeAirOne
01-31-2011, 12:28 AM
I guess they don't like those guide cones in Germany!

Lalo88DK
01-31-2011, 12:39 AM
I guess not :D

cousindave
01-31-2011, 05:18 AM
I'm glad to see you got it off!! What are those minilites bolted on to?

masonater
01-31-2011, 09:06 AM
I'm glad to see you got it off!! What are those minilites bolted on to?

thanks! it was a proud moment for me....They are on 1970 datsun 240z. Talk about a rocket ship!