PDA

View Full Version : oil cooler problem...

masonater
02-04-2011, 02:44 PM
So after deciding to keep my oil cooler and reinstall it i wanted to powder coat it. Bad idea. It had been so long since i took it apart and bead blasted it i forgot there is some sort of plastic in the valve (so i think) I noticed something was wrong when i was pre heating it (20 min @400) and it caught fire out either end. Gooey melted plastic or so it seems was coming out the ends and some of the solder around the cooling fins came loose. Can anyone explain what went on inside it? If i shake it i can hear rattling noises inside. I tried blowing air through and it only came out one way not the reverse...I attached pics to show what valve and whats left of the plastic im talking about. I really hope i didnt toast (literally) the whole cooler.

Big_Mark
02-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Were you trying to powder coat the actual fins on the cooler?

That would insulate the oil instead of dissipate the heat. Me thinks you made a boo boo......

masonater
02-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Were you trying to powder coat the actual fins on the cooler?

That would insulate the oil instead of dissipate the heat. Me thinks you made a boo boo......

Yes i was, it was painted when i took it off so a figured it would be similar...oops

I guess this may be the end of my to put on, or not to put on debate...

Big_Mark
02-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Yes i was, it was painted when i took it off so a figured it would be similar...oops

I guess this may be the end of my to put on, or not to put on debate...

LOL, I love it when I make decisions for myself like that! :p

SafeAirOne
02-04-2011, 09:29 PM
It looks as if there was a built-in check valve prior to heating.

JimCT
02-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Confused here, what parts of Series LR's where powder coated?

masonater
02-07-2011, 08:31 PM
doubt anything was powder coated originally but every part that i can physically do will be once im all done with the project. Wish i had not put the oil cooler in the oven though...live and learn i guess. Looking in my optional equipment book, i see there was a plastic valve inside. I wondered where the fire was coming from during pre heating, now i know! I can live with myself if thats the worst thing that happens during my whole rebuild considering im learning as i go...

JackIIA
02-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Mason - is that your RV-7 and 152 in the engine shots?

masonater
02-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Mason - is that your RV-7 and 152 in the engine shots?

Its actually an RV-8 with a 540 (insane fast) and a 1940's piper in back. They belong to my stepfather. He built that RV from scratch about 10 years ago. lots of leftover aluminum for my rover! RV may be for sale if your interested...

JackIIA
02-07-2011, 10:11 PM
very cool! i can barely afford my rover, so alas, i'll have to pass.

I Leak Oil
02-08-2011, 05:45 AM
It looks as if there was a built-in check valve prior to heating.

There is a valve in there. I don't remember if it's a check or a flow control (thermostat) type though. Anyone with a working oil cooler has probably heard the groaning it makes. That's the valve working....

Masonater, if the truck is staying on Nantucket or anywhere here in N.E. you won't come close to needing an oil cooler.

masonater
02-08-2011, 09:20 AM
It will be on Nantucket for the rest of its days so i hear ya about not needing it, ive heard the 8 blade fan does a good enough job anyway. I was thinking, dont oil coolers work with air flowing past them? i hardy go above 20 on island, mostly just cruise around in 2nd in town or on the beach...

Now that its busted anyway with the missing valve...if i dont install it, I wonder how i can get an oil temp reading considering the capillary bulb type sender for the temp is on one of the oil cooler lines?

69Bugeye
02-08-2011, 02:11 PM
The four blade fan does just fine.
The eight blade fan is a power robbing pig. It's HEAVY.

In my opinion, you are attempting to address a problem that doesn't exist.

masonater
02-08-2011, 03:07 PM
The four blade fan does just fine.
The eight blade fan is a power robbing pig. It's HEAVY.

In my opinion, you are attempting to address a problem that doesn't exist.

I've always had the 8 blade fan being a EX MOD 109, and i never go above 40 and there are zero hills on island so power is not a concern to me. The only problem that im trying to address is how im going to have an oil temp reading with out reinstalling the now busted (check valve anyway) oil cooler being that the sensor in inline with the system.

I Leak Oil
02-08-2011, 03:15 PM
I guess you could try to install the sender into the oil pan some how. Or just do away with the oil temp gauge all together.

I just saw your list of rovers....Holy cow! How do you find time to do anything but work on them?!:D

69Bugeye
02-08-2011, 08:24 PM
I've always had the 8 blade fan being a EX MOD 109, and i never go above 40 and there are zero hills on island so power is not a concern to me. The only problem that im trying to address is how im going to have an oil temp reading with out reinstalling the now busted (check valve anyway) oil cooler being that the sensor in inline with the system.

Ahhh...got it.
Well I would agree with I Leak Oil then. Oil pan is a good place for it and an easy mod if your pan does not have a boss already in it. Either find a pan that already has a boss for the sender of have one welded in.

steve