PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Problems

coyoteair
02-04-2011, 09:46 PM
My friend just showed up with 98 disco 1. The fuel pump is not activating. I am a series guy so a bit lost.

First what is the Inertia Switch.

Second which of the solenoids behind the passenger kick panel are for the fuel pump.

Can I jump the fuel pump to test it?

Thanks guys

siiirhd88
02-05-2011, 07:45 AM
The inertia switch shuts off the fuel pump in the event of a crash or other event. Ours has actuated from water spray in a car wash..... On our old '96 D1 it is located in the engine compartment on the passenger side of the firewall. It latches, and needs to be reset by depressing a small plunger, protected under a non removable rubber cap.

Can't help with the relay, sorry. We never had a problem with the relay, but have had to replace several fuel pumps.

The fuel pump can be jumpered. The pump is in the fuel tank, and can be accessed by lifting the carpet in the cargo bed and removing the access cover. You should see the fuel supply and return lines on top of the pump, and the power supply / fuel level guage wire connector. These connectors have been known to go bad, but again ours never had a problem. The green wires are for the fuel guage, but the other (grey? purple?) wires are to the pump. I ran a wire from the battery direct to the connector contact on the pump to get the pump to work, when I was troubleshooting the car wash actuated inertia switch problem....

Hope this hepls,
Bob
'02 Disco II SD
'80 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8

coyoteair
02-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks
I think I have a bad pump. I have 2 connector on the pump one for the fuel level transducer, and one for the pump.
The pump is wired 3 pin. I believe I have 2 grounds and a positive.
The odd thing is that I am only getting 4.8 volts at the pump.
Curious, but the pump will not go even when I jump it to 12volts

SGFMORover
02-22-2011, 11:26 PM
if you didnt get it licked yet, mine had similar issues back in the day, had to fix it quick, went to an oreillys and spent about $60 on a generic pump with similar flow couple of small clamps and the lil strainer rather than buy a whole new assembly (been working for 6-7 years now).... Important note, DON"T RUN THE PUMP OUTSIDE OF THE TANK, running it w\out fluid going through can burn it out in about 15 seconds or less.