PDA

View Full Version : How bad is this....

Firemanshort
02-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Tugging on my top today (in preparation for the 12-14 hour drive to Maine in two weeks).....

Now what....?

The canvas is pretty stiff but I am really worried about that corner flopping up in the wind.

I Leak Oil
02-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Two words for ya....

Duct + Tape.....

See ya up there.

jac04
02-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Doesn't look too bad. Looks like only the canvas strap broke. See if you can get something similar (maybe at a local auto or marine upholstery shop), staple it to the end of what's left, and pull the new piece through.

siiirhd88
02-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Dave,

I have the pickup cab on my 109 for the winter. If you want to borrow my soft top let me know. We'll be heading south for the ROAV ABM and could bring it with us.

Bob

stonefox
02-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Dave,

I have the pickup cab on my 109 for the winter. If you want to borrow my soft top let me know. We'll be heading south for the ROAV ABM and could bring it with us.

Bob
Bob- What is ROAV ABM ?

Apis Mellifera
02-05-2011, 08:21 PM
1. Put the kettle on.
2. Repair strap.
3. The water should be boiling, pour it on the top.
4. Stretch top to fit.

Plan Z: Duct tape or ear muffs and a heavier coat.

Firemanshort
02-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Due to the impending trip - I am thinking a temporary duck tape solution may be in order.

Bob - I am going to pull the truck inside the fire station out of the weather to let the top dry out. Then I will mess with it to see what I can do. I need to see what happens at highway speeds.

If it all looks bad, I may take you up on the soft top loan.

LR Max
02-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Do you have noise cancelling earphones?

That solves all problems.

siiirhd88
02-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Hi Sean,

It is the Rover Owners' Association of Virgina Annual Business Meeting. No wheeling, except a four hour trip, and just a dinner, etc. Good bunch of people, though, including Dave.

Bob

Bob- What is ROAV ABM ?

siiirhd88
02-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Dave,

Since the Romp is the same weekend as the ABM, I'll need to get the top to you next weekend if you need to use it. If so, we'll have to set up a meet.

Bob

Due to the impending trip - I am thinking a temporary duck tape solution may be in order.

Bob - I am going to pull the truck inside the fire station out of the weather to let the top dry out. Then I will mess with it to see what I can do. I need to see what happens at highway speeds.

If it all looks bad, I may take you up on the soft top loan.

jac04
02-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Don't duct-tape the top. It will only make a sticky mess out of it. Just replace the canvas strap. Use a piece of rope if that's all you've got. Another source for the strap would be a craft store (like Joann's or Michael's) or even someplace like EMS or REI in their camping area. Just ask them for narow nylon webbing.

I Leak Oil
02-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Duct tape can be used in many ways. You don't always have to stick it to something. A kid at my son's scout event had a wallet he made completely out of duct tape. No exposed adhesive at all. Just have to use some imagination.:D