PDA

View Full Version : clutch slave rebuild question

masonater
02-06-2011, 10:12 AM
I have the allmakes rebuild kit for my clutch slave cylinder and im ready to put it back together. The kit i have has a small rubber piece that i didn't come across during disassembly. It looks like it could go on the end of the plunger where it meets the piston? I attached a picture, its the tiny rubber part.

Also, should i just use dot 4 brake fluid to lube up the parts during assembly? or is there something better?

Thanks, Mason

siii8873
02-06-2011, 11:21 AM
I think thats the dust cover for the bleeder screw

Alaskan Rover
02-06-2011, 12:03 PM
If you're talking about the small rubber piece at the bottom of the picture, SeriesIII is correct, that IS the dust-cover for the bleed screw.

As for what clutch fluid to use...certain brake fluids WILL eat through the natural rubber (latex) seals on Rover hydraulics. So whatever you have been using on your brake system...if it hasn't been turning black and eating up your master cylinder/wheel cylinder seals. then THAT'S the fluid I would use. If your brake fluid is in anyway black, then DON'T use that type fluid. In that case, you'll want to order the Genuine Land Rover brake fluid that RoversNorth has started selling recently.

NOTE: Clutch fluid and brake fluid are the same, at least for slow speed vehicles like Rovers.

masonater
02-06-2011, 12:11 PM
ahh a cap, makes sense...

i had been using dot 4 before i took everything apart, never had an issue with leaks or seals being eaten. Ill use the RN stuff when i get her all back together.

Thanks

singingcamel
02-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Its fun to rebuild these things ,just to say we did it , My advise on any cylinder that needs to be rebuilt. Replace it..Its just a matter of time ,sooner than later you'll be back..

siii8873
02-08-2011, 02:40 PM
I kind of agree with singing camel. I have rebuilt cylinders and ended up replacing them because it didn't help. If the cyl bore is in excellent shape a rebuild could be OK. If there is any corrosion or scoring your most likely wasting your time and money. After saying this I am rebuilding my clutch master but as I said the bore is perfect.

masonater
02-08-2011, 03:17 PM
I agree with both of you folks. Mine were in near perfect shape to begin with, never leaked or had any issues with scoring or pitting. I figured while i have the entire rover in pieces for 20 bucks or whatever it was i may as well get new rubber seals being 41 years old... I powder coated the housings and put them back together, lets hope they dont start leaking now. While we are on the subject can anyone tell me what these rubber washer type parts are that came with the clutch master rebuild kit? i hope this is not as dumb as my last mystery part, but i didn't come across these during the disassembly.

kwd509
02-08-2011, 04:27 PM
w/in the heading of rebuilding is also the gold plated (not literally) option of resleeving via an outside service and then doing the rebuild. I think it is about the same cost as replacing with genuine parts.....perhaps a little more.

That doesn't sound like an obvious choice to me but, a rover restorer I confer with prefers this..... says that 1) aftermarket quality is so inconsistent, and that 2) even current genuine parts are not always good, and that 3) by re-sleeving you permanently eliminate the bi-metal corrosion problems.... and have an essentially endlessly rebuildable cylinder.
#3 has a seductive quality that requires a reality check....
thoughts? comments?

tis important since all my hydraulics require replacement or rebuilding.
thanks.

siii8873
02-08-2011, 06:07 PM
If that's a master cyl the rubber washers are for the cap. Should only be one. If it's a slave no idea.

masonater
02-08-2011, 07:08 PM
If that's a master cyl the rubber washers are for the cap. Should only be one. If it's a slave no idea.

I dont have the later type with a cap, its for the master cyl which is in the picture to the left of the washers. Its a allmakes rebuild kit if that helps anyones memory.

69Bugeye
02-08-2011, 08:10 PM
masonater.

Often times the rebuild kits will contain parts for a few different types of cylinder. It's a cheaper way for the vendor to market their kits.

Just replace like with like and throw away whatever is left.

steve