PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding leaf springs

albersj51
02-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Im about to pull off my old frame, and since I'm swapping frames I figured its a good time to rebuild my leaf springs. The plan is to unpack them, paint them in masterseries silver (like POR-15), top coat, apply uhmw tape and repack. That being said, how do I unpack the darn things? The c-clips look to be riveted, so how do I get those out, and then what do I replace them with when I put them back together?

Thanks!

Jason

albersj51
02-06-2011, 06:01 PM
I found something from Gudjeon (i keep strealing your ideas) on bending the c-clamps up and not removing the rivet, which seems like the best way to go. If I have to remove the rivet, has anyone found something better (easier) to replace that rivet with?

disco2hse
02-06-2011, 06:35 PM
You might want to consider having them reset too. Resetting should only be done in a furnace and by a properly experienced spring maker (someone who knows how to temper, etc.). They can be reset cold but that'll only last a matter of months before they have to be reset again.

If you go to a spring maker they will be able to do the riveting too.

Mountain132
02-06-2011, 07:57 PM
I did the same thing a few months ago. I have procomp parabolics purchased by the previous owner a few years ago that had a coat of rust on them from road salt. The front springs came apart just by removing the center bolt. The rear ones needed to be unpacked. I used a pry bar and and a pipe to bend the clamp just enough to open the clamp. sand blasted, primed painted, replaced the bushings, and bent the clamp back over by beating the crap out of it with the old and trusty BFH. If I had to do it again I would use that coating you find in car magazines that you place between the leafs to cut down on friction and squeaking.

If you're trying to do this with the originals, just buy the parabolic kit and save yourself the headache. Maybe put a few more coats of paint on them before installing

Mountain132
02-06-2011, 08:05 PM

It was the rear springs which came apart and the fronts I had to unwrap