PDA

View Full Version : Expensive Series on e-Bay

jac04
02-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Well, usually a vehicle like this on e-Bay is brought up for discussion. So, let's talk about this one. Bidding is over $30k with reserve not met yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-LAND-ROVER-SERIES-IIa-RESTORED-BETTER-THAN-NEW-/250767850006?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a62edba16

It's a nice looking vehicle, but at that price point I have to wonder:
1) Why are the windshield frame, hood release, lower grille clips and hood hinges painted?
2) Did they really mask around the letters on the oval badges when they were re-painted?
3) A rusty trans brake drum?
4) Off-brand tires on a $30K + vehicle?
5) Hard to tell, but looks like the galv. cappings are painted.

It also looks a little strange without the original type vent seals - I assume they are using the style that attach to the vents instad of the bulkhead.

I Leak Oil
02-07-2011, 12:13 PM
But look how shiney it is!

stonefox
02-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Well Jeff ,the obvious reason for the high $$ is that it is "Restored Better Than New":D
I think we all want to see what your lightweight would fetch on ebay,I'm thinking close to seven figures:rolleyes:........ And worth every penny.

I Leak Oil
02-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Sean, why don't you spray one of those jallopies you have out back and put it up for sale? Make it nice and shiney and you could do well...:D

Terrys
02-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Painted Valve cover, Painted intake manifold, No oil bath air cleaner, no elephant hides, wrong oil/water gauge. Nothing originally galvanized is anymore.
I hate looking at restorations on my laptop. Paint never looks right. Either way, all the character it accumulated in 50+ years washed away.

stonefox
02-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Sean, why don't you spray one of those jallopies you have out back and put it up for sale? Make it nice and shiney and you could do well...:D
I'm sure I could but I dont want to taint the Rover market right now.Its so under valued ,placing my spit shined rust buckets out there could spin the entire World economy into turmoil.And I just don't need one more thing on my conscience. :D

73series88
02-07-2011, 02:24 PM
is all the galvy on the body painted silver?
yuck.

Nium
02-07-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm confused by the Land Rover Badge on the front stating "Station Wagon" I thought the Station Wagon was a hard top with alpine windows and rear tub sides with sliding windows. That sure looks like a soft top, maybe it's my eyes. Please, someone help end my ignorance. Was a '63 offered as a Station Wagon?

superstator
02-07-2011, 03:31 PM
2) Did they really mask around the letters on the oval badges when they were re-painted?

Wow, that one little detail really says it all. If they can't be bothered to put even a little effort into painting the badge, but aren't smart enough to just leave it alone, just imagine what tragedies must be buried where you can't see them.

BackInA88
02-07-2011, 03:58 PM
But they did a nice job painting the vent seals!:thumb-up:

Bertha
02-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Been to that dealer in the past. They have no idea about most of the cars they are selling. I would have to say that the reserve should have been met a long time ago. Should be interesting to see where it closes. There is a lot wrong for a 30k +truck. I am glad it is up as high as it is so when I go to sell my latest project this summer, hopefully it will pull equally high numbers however mine will be done properly.

JackIIA
02-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Jeff - why not throw the lightweight up on E-Bay? Set a nutty reserve and see what happens.

I know you mentioned you wanted it to go to a good home but...aren't you curious?

We could have another Lanny/Orvis truck.

TedW
02-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Now, what do you suppose that means? Spritz it with a little Febreeze??

amcordo
02-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Since everyone on here is enjoying a good flame-fest, I'm going to be the first to say it:

I think it looks nice, and has a cleaner engine bay than I've seen so far. Since I don't see a video of it running and I'm a glass half-full kind of guy I'll just think that whoever took that much time cleaning up the outside probably paid a little attention to the insides.

Just sayin'... :)

Broadstone
02-07-2011, 06:38 PM
I too have been to this dealer but only to look through the window before work one day when I happened to be down the street. Footwells replaced (no ribs) and bulkhead supports in the engine bay not even used, I am not to sure on II and IIA bulkhead differences owning ser III but that stuck out to me. Pretty pitted up rear axle just painted, also with no normal looking brake piping supports on the springs. But yes it is shiny and there is a sucker born every day!!

jac04
02-07-2011, 11:30 PM
I think we all want to see what your lightweight would fetch on ebay...

Jeff - why not throw the lightweight up on E-Bay? Set a nutty reserve and see what happens.
I guess it's tempting, but I'm afraid that I would have seller's remorse (like I had when I sold my restored '63). Although I guess my amount of remorse would be inversely proportional to the nuttiness of the selling price.

I Leak Oil
02-08-2011, 04:49 AM
Since everyone on here is enjoying a good flame-fest, I'm going to be the first to say it:

I think it looks nice, and has a cleaner engine bay than I've seen so far. Since I don't see a video of it running and I'm a glass half-full kind of guy I'll just think that whoever took that much time cleaning up the outside probably paid a little attention to the insides.

But for a $60K restoration I would expect a lot more. Opinions on painted galvy aside, it is a clean truck....just not a $30K truck, certainly not a $60K restoration. Imagine what you could build for $60K.

TedW
02-08-2011, 07:54 AM

We all know that Tony is a regular Mister Sunshine! it helps to drive around in a truck full o' babes all day long.

Flames aside, I hope this person's reserve is surpassed by a wide margin and it sells big. There are certainly some things on it that I would have done differently, but big whup.

JackIIA
02-08-2011, 08:06 AM
I guess it's tempting, but I'm afraid that I would have seller's remorse (like I had when I sold my restored '63).

Good! You've come around I see!

jac04
02-08-2011, 08:08 AM
I agree that it's a fairly nice looking vehicle at a glance, but the seller makes claims such as:
"...no expense spared restoration."
"Restored by master craftsman, this is the finest Land Rover Series truck on the market today."
"Better than new."

Those are some pretty bold statements. The seller has lifted his leg, but I'm not sure he can pee with the big dogs.

ivarra
02-08-2011, 08:29 AM
I guess it's tempting, but I'm afraid that I would have seller's remorse (like I had when I sold my restored '63). Although I guess my amount of remorse would be inversely proportional to the nuttiness of the selling price.

Jeff, if it makes you feel any better, your remorse is offset by buyers satisfaction ... still to this day :thumb-up:

cousindave
02-08-2011, 08:29 AM
Love the period correct pierce manifold and weber 32/36.

jac04
02-08-2011, 09:20 AM
Jeff, if it makes you feel any better, your remorse is offset by buyers satisfaction ... still to this day :thumb-up:
You're right, I do feel better. Thanks Ivar!

amcordo
02-08-2011, 09:58 AM
But for a $60K restoration I would expect a lot more. Opinions on painted galvy aside, it is a clean truck....just not a $30K truck, certainly not a $60K restoration. Imagine what you could build for $60K.

Haha. Every time I imagine what I could do with $60k I drool.

amcordo
02-08-2011, 10:00 AM
I agree that it's a fairly nice looking vehicle at a glance, but the seller makes claims such as:
"...no expense spared restoration."
"Restored by master craftsman, this is the finest Land Rover Series truck on the market today."
"Better than new."

Those are some pretty bold statements. The seller has lifted his leg, but I'm not sure he can pee with the big dogs.

I claime those statements on everything I do. Except, replace "Land Rover Series truck" with "tv dinner" or "expense report" and it's more realistic.

I Leak Oil
02-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Haha. Every time I imagine what I could do with $60k I drool.

I'd build a garage with it. Having gone back to working on my back in the snow and running up and down from the basement to get tools really sucks!
But for a $60K rover restoration it might all be worth it if my truck had painted galvy and a shiney swiss cheese axle casing!:p

Terrys
02-08-2011, 11:03 AM
I can't figure out why people go thru the trouble, but won't go thru the trouble to do something correctly. Just about everything was slapped on, right after the UPS truck dropped it off. I love the painted transfer case too. You can spray paint a turd and it will be shiney, but it's still a turd underneath.

Momo
02-08-2011, 11:17 AM
+1 Terry. I see trucks like this and all I think of is, if they cut corners with simple stuff like not bothering to mask off the galvanized components, then what corners did they cut with mechanicals, electrical, etc? So many little things to correct...not difficult, but the price is totally out of line with the finished product

TeriAnn
02-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Well, usually a vehicle like this on e-Bay is brought up for discussion. So, let's talk about this one. Bidding is over $30k with reserve not met yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-LAND-ROVER-SERIES-IIa-RESTORED-BETTER-THAN-NEW-/250767850006?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a62edba16

It's a nice looking vehicle, but at that price point I have to wonder:
1) Why are the windshield frame, hood release, lower grille clips and hood hinges painted?

Probably for the same reason the chicken crossed the road. Because someone thought it would look nicer. The builder did a number of non stock things to the truck, evidently including replacing the station wagon roof with a hood and sticks. To regalvanize the windscreen frame the rebuilder would need to strip it first then reassmble it. I bet painting the windscreen frame was a way of economizing.

I haven't a clue. When I repainted mine I was just real careful and used a very fine brush. It seems a very inconsequential thing to bring up though.

3) A rusty trans brake drum?

Yep. An unpainted brake drum will dissipate heat better. I wouldn't paint mine either.

4) Off-brand tires on a $30K + vehicle?

Oh well, those are consumables and will be replaced if the vehicle gets driven

5) Hard to tell, but looks like the galv. cappings are painted.

Fresh galvanizing looks the same as silver paint in pictures. It appears that the front bumper was regalvanized. I'm betting that the cappings were all removed, regalvanized and replaced.

It also looks a little strange without the original type vent seals - I assume they are using the style that attach to the vents instad of the bulkhead.

They appear to be the Defender style scuttle vent seals. I plan to use them on mine next time.

OK, so there are some things painted the wrong colour and there are a couple non stock items on the truck. I find the black upholstery to look out of place and I'm used to seeing upholstered kick panels and inside bulkhead.

So what? The truck is not 100% original. Some parts have been substituted and the seller has no idea of what a concourse '63 should look like. Is that any reason to be spiteful over the truck?

It appears to have had rust problems fixed, new paint and galvanizing, a new galvanized frame all new rubber, new wire harness, parabolic springs and shocks. It appears that the engine and gearbox are fresh rebuilds. The brake hard tubing and rubber all appear to be fresh.

It appears to be in better overall condition that 95% of the trucks I've seen go up for sale.

Is it that it is fun to criticize an imperfect truck that is presented as perfect by someone who would not recognize a perfect truck if it ran over him?

I think it is a nice condition truck. Not perfect and not original, but a nice fresh truck non the less. One that might give someone who followed the factory maintenance schedule a 100,000 or more trouble free miles.

jac04
02-08-2011, 12:17 PM
I bet painting the windscreen frame was a way of economizing.
You mean some expense was spared?

Yep. An unpainted brake drum will dissipate heat better. I wouldn't paint mine either.

You need to dissipate heat from the trans brake drum? Interesting.

I'm betting that the cappings were all removed, regalvanized and replaced.

I'd take that bet.

Is it that it is fun to criticize an imperfect truck that is presented as perfect by someone who would not recognize a perfect truck if it ran over him?

Well, yes. I think you summed it up nicely.

I Leak Oil
02-08-2011, 12:24 PM
TeriAnn, I don't think anyone is being spiteful, just having some fun with yet another fleabay item. The ad says that no expense was spared in the $60K restoration....the truck is evidence to the contrary. It's all in good fun during this snow filled winter! Come on, there must be something about it you would like to poke fun at? Let your hair down a live a little!:p

stonefox
02-08-2011, 03:52 PM
:popcorn:

SafeAirOne
02-08-2011, 05:32 PM
It appears to be in better overall condition that 95% of the trucks I've seen go up for sale.

I think it's the disparity between the asking price and the vehicle's apparent market value that's attracting all the attention here. I'm sure noone would be poking fun at it if the asking price were more inline with what everyone's seeing in the photos. It'd hardly be worth a mention if the asking price was $15,000-18,000.

I confess that I'm rooting for the seller. I hope he gets $40,000+ for it. That way, when it comes time to sell my unrestored 109, I can start the bidding at $20,000. :D

JackIIA
02-08-2011, 10:09 PM
:popcorn:

best

comment

ever.

Skookumchuck
02-09-2011, 06:26 AM
I think it is a good looking truck for what it is. Either go toaly origional or go with what ever turns your crank. What is perfect to one is not perfect to another. By the way that is a great year 1963....Well I was born in 1963 so I am biased.:thumb-up:

I Leak Oil
02-09-2011, 06:45 AM
....again the statement that is was a $60K no expenses spared restoration.....

I think we're poking fun at and doing a little rivet counting about that more than the truck itself. It would be truely sad IF someone were getting all butt hurt about a listing on fleabay.

Sean, is your popcorn buttered or caramel?:p

jac04
02-09-2011, 12:51 PM
A little under 3 hours left and the reserve hasn't been met. Should be interesting to see if there is a last minute burst of bidding.

meatblanket
02-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Hmm. The bet is whether the cappings were removed and re-galvanized.

I'm betting they were. If you look carefully, I think those are blind rivets that were used to re-attach them. Yes, another imperfection.:p

Looks great to me, but I'd get the paint off the windshield frame.

Terrys
02-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Hmm. The bet is whether the cappings were removed and re-galvanized.

I'm betting they were. If you look carefully, I think those are blind rivets that were used to re-attach them. Yes, another imperfection.:p

Looks great to me, but I'd get the paint off the windshield frame.
According to some that have seen it, they were painted, and not even removed. Look at the fuel fill bezel and you'll see blue paint on the edges. If you were going to re-galvy the fixings, why wouldn't you do the windshield frame? Looks like the Warn hubs were not removed, aluminum bodys still dirty and bolt heads still rusty. The front bumper wasn't re-galvanized, it's new.

jac04
02-09-2011, 06:46 PM
No Sale. Watch for a re-listing at a lower reserve.;)

JimCT
02-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Military LR's had all their galvanized metal painted, so chill about that!

TeriAnn
02-09-2011, 10:19 PM
I'd take that bet.

Well, Maybe I would loose. I got on ebay and asked the seller if the body cappings were freshly regalvanized or painted silver.

I never got a reply to the question. :sly:

Terrys
02-10-2011, 06:32 AM
Military LR's had all their galvanized metal painted, so chill about that!
Not by Land Rover. Painted by MP scrubs.
Touchy Touchy

Bertha
02-10-2011, 07:13 AM
No Sale. Watch for a re-listing at a lower reserve.;)

Crazy on their part not to take the 30K and run. I doubt it will see that number next time around.

jac04
02-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Military LR's had all their galvanized metal painted, ...
I didn't see anything in the e-Bay listing about it being a military version. ;)

Jeff Ward
02-12-2011, 06:34 AM
It looks like the "real" bidding stopped at $15,400. Take a look at the ratings of the two bidders who took it from there to $30,100. Wonder if they are personal friends of the seller?

Can't be for sure, but just sayin'.

kevin-ct
02-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Well, I stopped by the dealer that was selling it. It was just sold today,

jac04
02-12-2011, 11:27 AM
^^ Did you ask them how much it sold for?

kevin-ct
02-12-2011, 11:46 AM
No, As I would not ask you what you sold your 63 Series for.

I always feel funny asking that. :o