PDA

View Full Version : So, You think you had a Bad day?

Terrys
02-09-2011, 06:38 AM
Here's a couple pics of the barn where we rented some space to store my son's Mini, his '69 2A, and my MG-TD. It used to be a tobacco barn
The Mini's roof is crushed, the 2A, formerly a pickup has a crushed roof, tub and windshield, and the TD is completely destroyed.
It didn't make me feel any better to hear that a friend's barn also collapsed, and he lost 2 antique wooden boats, 3 MGAs, a Mustang and an antique pickup truck. Every night, the news has another building collapse story.

I Leak Oil
02-09-2011, 06:47 AM
Sorry to hear that.:(

LaneRover
02-09-2011, 07:28 AM
Ouch! That really sucks.

73series88
02-09-2011, 08:10 AM
oh my god
im soo sorry.
aaron

Cutter
02-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Man I am so sorry, that is awful. I doubt the insurance will be easy to sort out. However the bright side is no one was in there to get hurt, be thankful for that.

LR Max
02-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Damn, hate to see that.

I guess you better get the home owners insurance guy out there, start quoting and at least get some $$$ to fix something.

JackIIA
02-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Terry - I'm so sorry.

stomper
02-09-2011, 10:39 AM
That really is a shame. One the bright side, at least yhou know what you will be doing for projects this summer. The Land Rover looks like it faired the best out of the three.

SeriesShorty
02-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Oh man, so sorry to hear. That is some serious suckage. :(

Just glad no living persons or critters were injured.

leafsprung
02-09-2011, 12:48 PM
dibs on parts :D JK - its just stuff. Glad youre ok.

Terrys
02-09-2011, 05:29 PM
Thanks for all the kind words guys. I actually slept well last night, and was so busy today getting ready for maple season, I hardly gave it a thought.
2 other antique barns on my road went down yesterday, and the evening news said over 100 barns in CT have gone down (yeah, but how many had Land Rovers inside?) A friend just moved her horse this fall out of a barn that came down and killed 3 horses. The TD may be toast, but the Mini actually faired the best. A new roof skin and Bob's your Uncle. Stomper, were you volunteering to help me with the additional projects. I think I had a full plate already. Now my tour of Hallowell City may be put on hold. My wife thinks this was all an excuse not to work on our house in Maine.
Ike, You made me laugh. When you come out to pick up your MG and Mini, bring me one of those PU roofs you're hoarding.

jac04
02-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Terry-
Sorry to hear about the barn & vehicles. If there is anything I can do to help with the clean-up just let me know.
-Jeff

Terrys
02-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks Jeff. If we get a few days of cold, and the sap doesn't run, I'm going to go at it with a chainsaw and get some of the debris, and weight off. If you got off 189 at Tarrifville Rd, and look directly across from the end of the ramp, you'll see the carnage. It's (or was) the old tobacco barn behind the Hoskins Tavern at the end of Duncaster.

siii8873
02-09-2011, 06:33 PM
hope you have insurance on your vehicles.

cousindave
02-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Wow, so sorry for your loss. Thank God you weren't in there working on your land rover!

rickv100
02-09-2011, 11:17 PM
Terry,

Sorry to hear about the losses, will the antique barn wood be salvaged or thrown away?

Rick

Mercedesrover
02-10-2011, 05:36 AM
Sorry about this. Lots of it going around right now.

Terry, I've got a couple free weekends and lots of chainsaws/chain/axes/etc. If you need a hand this weekend or any, let me know. Glad to come out and help.

Skookumchuck
02-10-2011, 06:42 AM
Sorry about the barn. There is a guy up here selling a series pick up top with good glass for $300.00 if you want his name and contact info PM me and I will pass it on to you.

Terrys
02-10-2011, 07:43 AM
Rick, The barnwood will doubtless be available.The exterior is 'barn red' but the interior is natural and almost 100 years old. LOTS of timbers. If the barn had been built 50 years earlier, it wood still be standing. There are many very old, timber framed (mortised & tennoned joints) around here. This one was built in the '20s and was sawn lumber, and not much joinery. This whole area was famous for tobacco used as wrappers for premium cigars, There has been a resurgence in their business, and even some new tobacco sheds are going up. Too bad most of the fertile land has gone to office 'parks & campuses)
Jim, thanks for the offer. If I get a chance, i'm going to just cut up the timbers now resting on the cars, but there is so much snow, formerly on the roof, it's not a job that can be tackled before April. There's over 3' of snow just getting in there. A friend has an excavator(and 2 landies), and will be bidding for the job once the owner settles up with his ins. co. He'll just fill dumspters and be in and out in less than a week. Funny how these things come full circle. The owner asked me if I'd build him a timber frame replacement. If I were 10 years younger, and still had my apprentices.......
Jim, you around mid-day tomorrow? I'm headed to Stanfordville for an overnite.

Mercedesrover
02-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Jim, you around mid-day tomorrow? I'm headed to Stanfordville for an overnite.

I'm always here! Sure, stop by. Got anything you want to sell/trade? Still looking for a .357 lever gun and a Model 36 or 60 J-frame.

Edit: Just bought a pre-safety Marlin 1894C on Gunbroker.

AAXD
02-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Here's the mini and TD.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn42/N183CS/100_0166.jpg

The 88 used to look like this.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn42/N183CS/PICT0514.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn42/N183CS/PICT0522.jpg

Here it is now.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn42/N183CS/100_0172.jpg

Winemark
02-13-2011, 06:33 PM
That is a brutal turn of events, really do need to focus on the idea that these are objects that can be fixed not humans that could be lost forever. My heart still goes out to you guys

jimrr
02-13-2011, 09:17 PM
terry;
Hate to see this, it is some consolation that no one or yourself caused this though. heck of a thing to happen, it sounds like their is lots of hope for the rover though.

jp-
02-13-2011, 09:23 PM
Damn sorry to see that happen.

As an Engineer, I like to think I could look at a building and evaluate it's structural integrity (at least where exposed columns or beams can be seen). Just looking at the aftermath, I really am not sure that I would have trusted that barn. When I build things I put in a HUGE safety margin. I add a safety factor of 40% or more (typical is only 10%). Yeah, it costs more but with the ramp up of global warming, I think we are all going to be needing buildings with higher snow load ratings! Hell, I live in Mississippi and we have already had 4 snows this year!

I know what you mean about the really old barns. That's when they built stuff to last. Those days are gone, unless you build it yourself. Sad really.

Skookumchuck
02-14-2011, 06:44 AM
How is it with Global warming I am sitting here with more Cold More Snow and colder summers. Just wondering:mad:

Terrys
02-14-2011, 06:55 AM
JP, when this barn was built, if you told someone you were an engineer, it would be assumed you drove a steam locomotive

mongoswede
02-14-2011, 09:29 AM
How is it with Global warming I am sitting here with more Cold More Snow and colder summers. Just wondering:mad:

Well technically if the average global temperature increases then more water evaporates from the oceans, lakes, and rivers. The increase in airborne moisture results in more severe thunderstorms during the summer and more aggressive weather patterns. In effect it becomes more difficult to predict the weather because the increased temperatures increase the overall energy of the weather system. So winter snows can/could become greater. In a way its the earth's attempt to level itself out and get back to a more stable situation. Raise the average temperature enough and all hell breaks loose...should be fun to watch in the next few years. The flip side of global temperature increases (whether natural or man made) is that for every degree of temperature increase there is 1000 feet less snow in elevation. So if you live in an area where the water supply is dependant on snow pack then there is a direct impact.

jp-
02-14-2011, 12:41 PM
That was sarcasm! Obviously, I don't subscribe to that GW BS. And if you do, you need to look up the secret emails that came out of the GW crowd.

mongoswede
02-15-2011, 06:52 AM
That was sarcasm! Obviously, I don't subscribe to that GW BS. And if you do, you need to look up the secret emails that came out of the GW crowd.

Sarcasm or not I was just explaining why the weather has been so erratic. George W or not.

amcordo
02-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Well technically if the average global temperature increases then more water evaporates from the oceans, lakes, and rivers. The increase in airborne moisture results in more severe thunderstorms during the summer and more aggressive weather patterns. In effect it becomes more difficult to predict the weather because the increased temperatures increase the overall energy of the weather system. So winter snows can/could become greater. In a way its the earth's attempt to level itself out and get back to a more stable situation. Raise the average temperature enough and all hell breaks loose...should be fun to watch in the next few years. The flip side of global temperature increases (whether natural or man made) is that for every degree of temperature increase there is 1000 feet less snow in elevation. So if you live in an area where the water supply is dependant on snow pack then there is a direct impact.

+1 for being smart.

RoverForm
02-15-2011, 06:49 PM
that's a goddamn shame terry.

someone had mentioned that snow load caused the collapse, was that in fact the cause?

Terrys
02-16-2011, 04:59 AM
Yes, It was snow. We measured the depth on the roof of the other barn and it was 26" deep. The night before, we had about 3" of heavy wet stuff, and that must have been the straw that broke the camel's back.
We were in the woods all last week stringing new tubing for maple sap, and there is still over 3' on the ground in some area. 25" snowshoes aren't cutting it.

Apis Mellifera
02-16-2011, 06:39 PM
What are your plans for the TD?

Terrys
02-16-2011, 08:47 PM
What are your plans for the TD? Have to get the timbers off the tub to see what, if anything, can be done. I know some of the wood is kindling. All the running gear was up here, in my barn, as well as the front wings, tank and bonnet.

Apis Mellifera
02-17-2011, 05:42 AM
I am seriously interested in buying the [MGTD related] lot for spares should it become available.

Many Thanks

Les Parker
02-17-2011, 08:07 AM
Terry,

Have you dedided about the mini? The Austin A35 Van should be rolling soon, always looking for the next project....

mongoswede
02-17-2011, 08:09 AM
if damaged vehicles were being parted I'd probably be willing to take a banged up pickup roof and cab.

Terrys
02-18-2011, 06:04 AM
Les, Colin will be back from AK for 2 weeks on the 2nd. He'll decide then. I think we have an excavator coming then to get them out. The mini needs a new roof skin, but Minimania has them. I stpped by to see Jim young last week and he didn't think it was too bad a job.
Mongo-We don't need no steekin' boolets-Swede, if you can fix this roof, I have plenty of work for you.
Apis, the TD engine was completely rebuilt, an never installed (thankfully). There was ZERO rust on the frame and tub.

mongoswede
02-18-2011, 07:31 AM
Les, Colin will be back from AK for 2 weeks on the 2nd. He'll decide then. I think we have an excavator coming then to get them out. The mini needs a new roof skin, but Minimania has them. I stpped by to see Jim young last week and he didn't think it was too bad a job.
Mongo-We don't need no steekin' boolets-Swede, if you can fix this roof, I have plenty of work for you.
Apis, the TD engine was completely rebuilt, an never installed (thankfully). There was ZERO rust on the frame and tub.

Boolets?

Take some photos when you get everything out of the pile...curious to see how bad it is.

Terrys
02-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Boolets?

Remember Mungo, from one of the best Clint Eastwood movies ever?

LaneRover
02-18-2011, 08:34 AM

I remember Mongo from one of the best Mel Brookes Movies ever.

mongoswede
02-18-2011, 01:57 PM

http://dubsism.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/mongo.gif?w=320&h=240

LaneRover
02-18-2011, 02:07 PM

Mongo just pawn in chess game of life

AAXD
02-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Terry,

Have you dedided about the mini? The Austin A35 Van should be rolling soon, always looking for the next project....

Les, I am definitely open to offers. I'm not sure I'll have room for all these cars when I move to Florida this summer so the Mini might be up for grabs. I'm thinking an 88" pickup will be more my style down there.

Terrys
02-18-2011, 07:00 PM
That's Mongo, not Mungo. Mungo was a crazy Mexican who had a funny quiver to his upper lip. My wife and I have both perfected it.

LaneRover
02-18-2011, 07:59 PM
That's Mongo, not Mungo. Mungo was a crazy Mexican who had a funny quiver to his upper lip. My wife and I have both perfected it.

Hence why I made the distinction earlier!