PDA

View Full Version : cb vs. cv master brake

cedryck
02-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Evening Gents.
This owner of a 65 2a is having difficulty expleting air from a cb type master, any comments? Has anyone swapped out a cb to a cv, seems like the design is less likely to trap air in that large cavity at the end of the master. Any comments appreciated.

Momo
02-10-2011, 01:29 AM
Best thing you could do is upgrade to the vacuum assist brake system. It eliminates the angle completely. You'll need a Series III brake pedal tower, master and servo, clutch master, and some plumbing modifications. The CB is a real bear to get right.

This might help you out:

http://aluminumfriend.blogspot.com/2007/01/power-brake-upgrade-for-pre-1968-land_02.html

cedryck
02-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Thanks, I am in the interest to keeping this vehicle as original as possible, not going to apply the vacume operated brake system. I would like to hear from someone who has eliminated the cb master with either a cv, or willwood type master, thanks all the same.

cousindave
02-10-2011, 05:25 PM
momo: great website!!! :thumb-up: Looks like you've been taking tips from Rip Van Winkle.:p

I Leak Oil
02-11-2011, 04:47 AM
You can switch to the CV. I don't remember if the line fittings are the same though. I never had an issue with the CB on my truck though.

cedryck
02-11-2011, 07:14 AM
thanks, I will and feel the cb is just poor by design, that big cavity at the end tends to trap air, making it difficult to expel.

lew_sa
02-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Bench bleed the CB before you install it.

shock
02-11-2011, 02:19 PM
It may have been my imagination but I jacked up the front end of my '66 88 after having some of the same trouble and it seemed to do the trick for me. I think I read somewhere about it and didn't have much to lose at that frustrating point. Maybe changing the level caused the air bubble to move to a better spot or it moved out through the reservoir. Or it was all a dream. Oh and if you do, please use jack stands and wheel chocks. Good luck.

kwd509
02-11-2011, 06:52 PM
is there any downside to switching to the CV cylinder for the brake master?

cedryck
02-15-2011, 12:52 PM
As far as I know, now issues in switching from cb to cv, I do believe that at least one fitting is different, and requires changing. Yes raising the front end will help eliminate air trapped at the back of a cb. Loosening the output pipe so it bleeds while preasure bleeding will help too. 14psi into the system will help expel air through wheel cylindar taps.

gudjeon
02-15-2011, 02:09 PM
I had a '57 ser1 CB and it was a bugger to bleed. What I ended up doing was getting a help to put a few pounds of air pressure into the reservior breather hole. Held a rubber-tipped blow gun right on the hole and applied some air. Then I bled each wheel as normal. Just about 8-10psi. Worked on mine and bled out lots and lot of tiny bubbles. I pushed about a quart and a half through this way.

cedryck
02-16-2011, 08:04 AM
yea, I have preasure bleeder and will use that, this seems like the only reasonable way to bleed, using pump and hold method (like any usa car) just does not work well.

scarter
04-10-2011, 05:59 AM
Using a new CB, have bled lots of very tiny air bubbles out. After more than a pint of fluid, still lots of tiny bubbles, however, upon pump stroke to floor to expel fluid/bubbles, pedal sticks down and has to be retracted by hand each time. It's as if the return spring isn't there. :confused: Ideas?

I Leak Oil
04-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Is the returns spring there?:p
As a matter of habit I don't bottom out the pedal when bleeding a system. I like the idea of keeping the cylinder within it's normal working range.

scarter
04-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Return spring's in place.