PDA

View Full Version : IIA running rough at idle

tmckeon88
02-11-2011, 05:31 AM
I have a 1969 IIA 88 with the usual 2.25L gas engine and a Weber single barrel carb and just in the last couple of days it has started running really roughly at idle, such that it will stall at a stop sign. It runs and drives and starts OK otherwise, but I find I have to keep the choke part way open to keep it idling. It has always had a good idle in the past. It's been cold here in MA but it has been running fine all winter. Should I be looking at the points? A vacuum leak? Clogged carb jet? I did a full tune up last spring.

Any ideas from the more experienced than I would be very welcome.

Tom

Terrys
02-11-2011, 06:10 AM
Tom, any of the other things you mentioned can be a source of idle problems; points being the most likely of the others, but It's been my experience that the Weber has a very fussy idle circuit. Clean fuel is a must also. I'd pull the idle mixture screw out, blow out the jets, reset the idle mixture and check that the bowl is clean.

tmckeon88
02-11-2011, 10:32 AM
OK, I'll try those things. I might get a new rubber elbow for the vacuum line too, and I might as well order tune up parts with the gift certificate I got for Christmas. I just need some milder weather to do all this since I have to work outside!

Thanks,
Tom

singingcamel
02-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Theres alot of issues that can cause a rough idle.. I would check the low tension leads, make sure there seated tightly on the plug, vaccum leaks are a real stinker. check for leaks ,bad hoses. retorque you carb at the base . check dizzy cap and rotor for wear and corrosion. readjust the carb.
Whens the last time you adjusted the valves..