PDA

View Full Version : Floor Jack Recommendations

JackIIA
02-12-2011, 01:48 PM
I've got a Craftsman 4 ton floor jack. It has failed on me and I need to replace it.

I'm not looking to break the bank, but I would like something that isn't Chinese junk. One of my main concerns is buying something that is pretty well proven and repairable. In other words, not some weird seal situation like this Craftsman, which I understand from online research can't be fixed.

Mine got little use, but I stored with the piston retracted and check valve slightly opened, so there was no pressure on it, nor pitting etc.

So, two questions - BRAND/MAKE, and FREQUENCY of use? Thanks for input.

Apis Mellifera
02-12-2011, 03:02 PM
I have Chinese junk:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-4-quarter-ton-heavy-duty-floor-jack-50183.html

I use it at least once a week probably. It's never failed and works as well as it did when I bought it. I generally don't buy cheap tools, but a floor jack isn't used all the time. I think you'll be pressed to find one that isn't made in China. Regardless of the color it's painted or the sticker that's on it, most are made in China.

bkreutz
02-12-2011, 03:25 PM
You might consider getting a used one, someplace like Craigslist. My thinking is that if it's lasted a number of years being used by someone else, it will probably survive for many more. Plus you have the chance of getting one that was actually made outside of China. :D

JackIIA
02-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Gale - hadnt thought of CL for this. Thanks. AM - I tend to avoid them too, but $90 is not bad even though it's only 2.5 ton. I suppose I could get the extended warranty. Hard to go wrong for that $$.

How long have you had it? This Craftsman crapped out after 5 years.

I Leak Oil
02-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Are you concerned about it "only" being 2 1/2 ton? If so what do you plan to lift with it?
2 1/2 Ton has lifted a couple of my full sized pickups, a slew of cars and a smattering of rovers over the years and hasn't has any issues with capacity.
My Sears 2 1/2 ton was one of the first tools I ever bought. It's lasted me 26 years and has been stored outside at times. Never any issues with it. I've been meaning to change the fluid for about 10 years now though...Thanks for reminding me!

Mercedesrover
02-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Napa has a 3 1/2 ton floor jack that's pretty good. We have four of them in a professional repair shop and they get used and abused every day. We get about 10 years out of them so for your needs they'll last a lifetime. I think they're around $250 and every now and then they have a special that includes a pair of jack stands for the same money.

http://partimages2.genpt.com/partimages/40030.jpg

Apis Mellifera
02-12-2011, 04:33 PM
I've had it about four years. I think it was $59.99 when I got it and I had a 20% off coupon too. I would buy it again. They sell larger ones too.

Terrys
02-12-2011, 07:46 PM
If I live long enough to need another, It's going to be an aluminum one.

Triumphdaytona2007
02-12-2011, 09:47 PM
i use a china walmart jack its a torin 3 ton, i paid $100 and have had it for a year with no problems, its a low profile and picks up to 18 inches, in the last month i have been using it every day, but normal use is around 1-2 times a week, it is stored in the back of my open top rover so its always in the weather heres a link for the specs

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Torin-Jacks-3-Ton-Low-Pro-Jack/14560043

stonefox
02-12-2011, 10:47 PM
I've got a Craftsman 4 ton floor jack. It has failed on me and I need to replace it.

I'm not looking to break the bank, but I would like something that isn't Chinese junk. One of my main concerns is buying something that is pretty well proven and repairable. In other words, not some weird seal situation like this Craftsman, which I understand from online research can't be fixed.

Mine got little use, but I stored with the piston retracted and check valve slightly opened, so there was no pressure on it, nor pitting etc.

So, two questions - BRAND/MAKE, and FREQUENCY of use? Thanks for input.
I thought all Craftsman tools were garunteed for life .I'd take it back to Sears and have them replace it.

JackIIA
02-13-2011, 07:25 AM
Not all Craftsman tools are warranted for life. Actually, many are not warranted for a significant period anymore. If you return the rachets for instance, they will replace them. But the originals are much better. The jacks are usually warranted for just 90 days.

Been reading online and not surprised about comments that their Craftsmans have lasted 20+ years. I'm seeing that alot. But your father's Craftsman is not today's Craftsman. They aren't built to last. Craftsman Community website ranks them wicked low.

These are some great recommendations. Thanks!! I was able to use the jack yesterday after overcoming the weak seal (fast pumping) and getting jack stands where I wanted them. It is 'holding' but I wouldn't want to trust it. :eek:

ILO - My thought is bigger is always better for this stuff. 4 vs. 2 1/2. I did read that foreign floor jacks used to not be rated for their actual stated capacity. (No one was checking imports). American made jacks were being checked and were good for their rated amounts. Of course, I doubt that is still the case. So, really, I am just being a snob!!!

Terry - I think of those as pricey no?

I Leak Oil
02-13-2011, 09:19 AM
For a given price you're most likely to get a better 2 1/2 ton jack than a 4 ton. And if a 2 1/2 lifts your vehicle then a 4 ton isn't going to lift it any better. Not that I'm trying to change your mind or anything....:p
The new Sears stuff doesn't seem to have the same build quality as my old one. Mine has far more cast parts where as the newer stuff seems to substitute stamped parts. My guess is they skimp on the internal stuff you can't see too.
The shop I used to work at when I was in college had a long reach jack with a longer T-handle. That was a great unit for moving things around. I recently saw one at a swap meet that I lusted after but since I no longer have a garage it would look silly sitting in my driveway.