PDA

View Full Version : Calling all red rovers

rejeep
02-12-2011, 10:48 PM
If you have a red series truck I would like to see some pictures... Especially if they are recent sprays and you know the color...

I'm torn between poppy reds.. The posted color codes gave me two different samples.. And I couldn't even mix up Masai due to the store being out of a pigment...

Just looking to see where others have been before I jump in.

leafsprung
02-12-2011, 10:50 PM
http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4x4/projects/redrover/dash1.jpg

rejeep
02-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Showoff... That's beautiful!!

Unfortunately I'm only doing the exterior...

masonater
02-12-2011, 11:19 PM
here is the 68 i used to have painted in a flat red. Dont remember the details of the color but i loved it. I think flat colors look sweet on series rigs.

rwollschlager
02-12-2011, 11:38 PM
here is the 68 i used to have painted in a flat red. Dont remember the details of the color but i loved it. I think flat colors look sweet on series rigs.

I have a IIA 109 SW I will be repainting this summer and possibly changing the color to poppy red, do you have any more pics of your 109?
thanks,
-Rob

masonater
02-12-2011, 11:43 PM
I have a IIA 109 SW I will be repainting this summer and possibly changing the color to poppy red, do you have any more pics of your 109?
thanks,
-Rob

Rob, PM me your email and ill see what i can dig up.

Winemark
02-13-2011, 07:41 AM
Here is my '65 had it sprayed Poppy this summer. Got to have the wheels done this summer in proper limestone

Firemanshort
02-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Rustoleum Regal Red is a fairly close match to Masai Red. I painted my tailgate with the rattle can and it matched the rest of the truck close enough.

Are you looking for a great paint job or just making it one color?

siii8873
02-13-2011, 08:10 AM
can you post a picture of the dash area of the truck. What would have been the original color of the instrument panel? I've seen them both black and the truck color. Sorry for jumping in on this thread but I'm also doing a red rover.

Winemark
02-13-2011, 08:45 AM
Go to post number 2 in this thread for a great example

rejeep
02-13-2011, 08:49 AM

THATS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT...
thats kinda what I have, but after replacing doors and what not it needs to shot with color.

i think I saw your truck this summer on the island.. my wife actually saw it and said that was my truck only nicer..:nono:
I would very much like to get paint codes, or any info you can throw my way..
I got an exact match on my limestone, but the reds im mixing up are just not cutting it.

siii8873
02-13-2011, 09:56 AM
I saw Ike's post number 2 with the truck color inst panel. I have a 69IIa but the panel is black on a red truck. The aux panel is also black but the heater cover is truck color red. That's why I ask what was original or did trucks come either way or is this something year specific?.

leafsprung
02-13-2011, 10:09 AM
s2a had black dash after 68, body color before.

masonater
02-13-2011, 10:14 AM
THATS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT...
thats kinda what I have, but after replacing doors and what not it needs to shot with color.

i think I saw your truck this summer on the island.. my wife actually saw it and said that was my truck only nicer..:nono:
I would very much like to get paint codes, or any info you can throw my way..
I got an exact match on my limestone, but the reds im mixing up are just not cutting it.

The 68 went off island to a new home a few years ago, never to be seen again :( The 71 soft top is my dads daily driver and spends most of its time in town so very possible if thats what you saw, its the only one like it around. Ill have to wait until tomorrow when i can look through the office and find some old paperwork. It was made nice by the folks at 4x4 center in VT for starters, limestone wheels and roof top. PM me your email and ill send you all the pics and info i have

Mason

rejeep
02-13-2011, 04:41 PM
PM sent.. thanks for the effort..

well the 2nd week in July this past summer there was a sweet red 109 Wagon rolling around..

Terrys
02-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Here is my '65 had it sprayed Poppy this summer. Got to have the wheels done this summer in proper limestone
Now there's a fine truck!

Winemark
02-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Now there's a fine truck!

I appreciate the patina it had when I bought her from you but now I want each scratch to be mine. She does look great now and runs like a top, each scratch and ding going forward will be a memory of mine. Thanks for pulling her together

TCapelle
02-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Here is my red rover- coach painted rustoleum regal red

woodman1
02-13-2011, 07:44 PM
http://http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1433823973063&set=t.100000813671752&theaterhttp://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1433823973063&set=t.100000813671752&theater
My Red Rover!

rejeep
02-13-2011, 08:11 PM

What color did you paint your body capping?
I may be in a situation where I don't think I will be removing it, and since the po has already painted it, I am following suit...

If you can throw me another shot from the front I would like to see what a body color windscreen does for the look.

mongoswede
02-14-2011, 09:34 AM

is that a jug of maple syrup sitting on the spare?

stonefox
02-14-2011, 09:44 AM
It actually looks like two jugs. But my bet is its 90wt:D

rejeep
02-14-2011, 09:54 AM
i thought syrup was an alternitive for Ep90...
and cleans off he driveway better

widerberg
02-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Here's mine. It is (was?) Masai Red. Got a bit of, er, patina now. The interior shot shows the color a little truer to the original.

siii8873
02-14-2011, 05:38 PM
did they paint series rovers masai red? I thought for some reason that series trucks were only painted poppy red.

stonefox
02-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Here's mine. It is (was?) Masai Red. Got a bit of, er, patina now. The interior shot shows the color a little truer to the original.
I think you could make Penecillin out of the patina on your truck.It looks like a rolling petre dish:D

masonater
02-14-2011, 07:43 PM
here is a litte better shot of the flat red on the 109

widerberg
02-15-2011, 12:51 PM
did they paint series rovers masai red? I thought for some reason that series trucks were only painted poppy red.

Yes, Masai Red was actually available for quite a long time (Series III). There are a few sources online, but this one came up first: http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/nonmetallic.html

It lists Masai Red as being available from 1970-1985. Poppy Red was apparently a late-'50s to late-'60s color choice.

There were at least two formulations/versions of Masai Red, though. I'd asked in another thread for the "correct" Masai Red, as there are at least two official Land Rover color codes for Masai, and they're different. So, what color Masai Red actually is will depend on whatever the factory sprayed, which given the changing paint code must have changed at some point during the production run.

widerberg
02-15-2011, 12:54 PM
I think you could make Penecillin out of the patina on your truck.It looks like a rolling petre dish:D

LOL! I know, right? Well, to be fair, these shots were the only ones I had at work, and they're from the day I brought her home (i.e., pulled her out of a field). She's cleaned up now, so there's only faded Masai Red, primer in places, and Birmabright in others, and none of the moss/slime/etc. :thumb-up:

siii8873
02-15-2011, 01:27 PM
my rover is a 69 so I'm guessing poppy red would have been the color. I've attached a picture of the best looking paint on it, outside is faded.

siii8873
02-15-2011, 03:46 PM
I looked at the attachment widerberg posted. I find it interesting that for 1969 there is not a red paint listed( 58-68 poppy red, 70 on masai red) , yet my 69 is red and I'm pretty sure it always was.

widerberg
02-16-2011, 09:22 AM
I looked at the attachment widerberg posted. I find it interesting that for 1969 there is not a red paint listed( 58-68 poppy red, 70 on masai red) , yet my 69 is red and I'm pretty sure it always was.

I'm fairly sure red was available in '69. Maybe as a special order? Hopefully someone has a catalog or ad from then that mentions it.

Possibly relevant, I used to have a Lotus Europa that didn't show an actual paint code, the code was sort of zeroed out, but the car was Lotus Yellow. I emailed the archivist at Lotus Cars and he said that the factory painters were on strike when my car was built and so it was shipped without paint and was painted at the dealership here in the States. Bizarre, but apparently true.

So, there could be all sorts of weird ways your Landy ended up being red originally.

Terrys
02-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Not sure what's up with that link, but I have a Stephen Hull list I printed years ago that "Looks" like the one on that link, but clearly shows Poppy Red as available '59-72, Colour CMK, Code LRC.10

Here's the web address I got it from, printed on the bottom of each page. Not sure it still works.

www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/color.html (http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/color.html)

Nope, link isn't any good any more, but just called the paint guy I deal with and just said LRC.10 and he said " Land Rover Poppy Red, 1959 to 1972, right?"
FWIW, we had a (slightly crushed) '69 in Poppy Red, and I can say with some degree of assurance, it's original.

TCapelle
02-17-2011, 08:51 PM

Yes indeed it is...This years season is only a few weeks away here in the midwest..Sounds like in New Egland it is starting pretty soon...great time of year to do a little rovering and some syrup cooking....
cheers!

Terrys
02-18-2011, 06:12 AM
Yes indeed it is...This years season is only a few weeks away here in the midwest..Sounds like in New Egland it is starting pretty soon...great time of year to do a little rovering and some syrup cooking....
cheers!
Yes, it is. Most of my taps are on tubing, but still have 120 buckets out. They're nearish to the road, but collecting in 3' of snow, on snowshoes is pushing the he!! out of my knee.