PDA

View Full Version : headache installing class 3 hitch on 109- tank clearance

Cutter
02-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Hey all,

not sure if anyone has installed our host's class 3 receiver for a 109, I'm having a nightmare getting things back together. My 109 regular has the tank in the back like a SW, and installing the hitch required dropping the tank in order to get access to the back of the crossmember to secure the thru-bolts. Wasn't a fun job but got it off and out of the way, and installed the receiver with minimal fuss. The problem is now that the receiver is preventing the seating of the tank. The tank wants to go straight up, but the receiver prevents this as the 2" tube extends back under the crossmember. I spent a few hours getting the tank angled with the rear flange up over the 2" tube but to do this the tank is pretty severely angled, and I can't rotate the front end of the tank up into position without the top of the tank hitting the inner crossmember and binding.

Has anyone done this install and am I obviously missing something? I'm a little disappointed in the design of the hitch, I understand the engineering but can't for the life of me figure out how to get the tank back in the way it is made. I am considering cutting the metal flange on the rear of the tank in the middle so I can lift the tank vertically, and then putting a reinforcing piece of bar stock in to brace once it is in position.

This is all being done with the truck on the ground, which makes it a PITA, but isn't interfering as far as I can tell. Here's a photo and illustration to help explain...

http://kaijustudios.com/cutter/hitchtank_ill.jpg
http://kaijustudios.com/cutter/f-inTankHitch.jpg

I Leak Oil
02-13-2011, 09:35 AM
You could try to cut away the part of the return flange that is hitting the 2" tube to gain you some clearance.
Did you get the correct hitch? Probably the 109" SW version?

Cutter
02-13-2011, 09:39 AM
Yeah it is the correct version. I think I am going to do just that and cut it away, it doesn't seem overly structural, and I think I have some metal to reinforce it. I love how half day jobs stretch over days and weeks now for me...

Cutter
02-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Cut the back flange, then spent 3 hours getting the damn thing back in rolling around on the garage floor. By far the worst job I've experienced to date on the rover. Verging on TMI, got a nasty rash all over my legs to boot from whatever. Totally need a beer.

SafeAirOne
02-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Not too sure of how your hitch mounts to the rear crossmember, but the dixon-bate adjustable setup I removed from my 109 had bolts penetrating forward, through the tow plate, then through the rear crossmember and were nutted between the rear crossmember and the fuel tank.

Could you drop the tank, insert the bolts through the rear crossmember from the front to rear, then re-hang the tank and then mount the hitch? The nuts will tighten down on the outside of the tow hitch bracket.

You might have to fashion some method of keeping the bolt heads from spinning when you tighten the nuts, but if you use an impact driver to tighten them, you may noprobably won't need to.

lrdukdog
02-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Might just want to try this one http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4x4/products/hitches/hitches.html
Jim Wolf

amcordo
02-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Since you already fixed the issue I'm going to hijack for a moment...

Have any of you reinforced the rear crossmember when installing a hitch? If yes, then how?

Cutter
02-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Yeah I would have bought that had I known the headache the other caused. Oh well.

I Leak Oil
02-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Have any of you reinforced the rear crossmember when installing a hitch? If yes, then how?

The crossmember already has internal gussets so unless it's rusted then there's not a whole lot you need to do. A backup plate for the fasteners will spread the load and is well worth it.

Salemrover can tell you how I showed him the error of his ways with his crossmember and hitch...:D

amcordo
02-14-2011, 02:49 PM
The crossmember already has internal gussets so unless it's rusted then there's not a whole lot you need to do. A backup plate for the fasteners will spread the load and is well worth it.

Salemrover can tell you how I showed him the error of his ways with his crossmember and hitch...:D

Good to know! I wondered whether there was enough strength there to handle actually hitching someting to it without the crossmember folding.

SalemRover
02-14-2011, 07:07 PM

Well except that next time it will be your hitch that is dropped in the snow. No really, I have *your* hitch now so if it does go through again it will be your hitch, MY bolts... your hitch. Wont forget that trail run, for a week anyways.

-Jason

Markl
02-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Hi Cutter,
Your post was brought to my attention today. We have not experienced this problem before. I have installed a few of these. Normally I do not remove the fuel tank when I install the hitch. However I have replaced SW fuel tanks w/ our class 3 receiver installed on the 109. Its all really close but everything should go together w/o the issues you experienced. I appreciate your illustration and photo. I am forwarding these to our manufacturer who also runs Series Rovers. We'll do a mock up next week. Can you tell me what kind of fuel tank your 109 has and how far the rear mounting flange protrudes rearward from the back of the fuel tank? I would really appreciate this info. Thanks very much. Mark 800-403-7591 ex 232