PDA

View Full Version : rear main seal question...

masonater
02-13-2011, 05:01 PM
I have the old one out and T seals out as well, i found a stash in the hangar of all types of silicone, hi temp RTV silicone, aviation form-a-gastet, regular form-a-gasket, ect...what would be a good one to use? if any...I ask because i've heard there are some you absolutely do not want to use. The metal surfaces all look nice and clean. I noticed the old seal was banged up a little bit on 2 different spots, i guess thats why it was leaking...

Thanks, Mason

rwollschlager
02-13-2011, 11:20 PM
IIRC the green bible calls calls specifically for hylomar which is (according to a quick google search) " this non-chlorinated gasket and sealing compound has been specially formulated to be non-setting and non-hardening at elevated temperatures. Even at these high temperatures, Universal Blue Racing Formula remains flexible and tacky, allowing repeated disassembly and reassembly in high performance applications."

So if anything on your shelf that fits that guideline it should work fine, otherwise RN sells the original stuff: http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-5858-hylomar-gasket-sealer-100gm-tube.aspx

-Rob