PDA

View Full Version : Frame ?

stonefox
02-14-2011, 09:19 AM
I've sandblasted my frame and bulkhead in preperation for galvinizing.It seems the interior of the frame was painted as well. At least were I can see in the drain holes.Any Ideas on how to remove it.I've thought about paint remover but how to aply and know it covered threw out.To take it this far and not have the galvy stick on the inside would be a real drag. Worst part is the paint looks good on the inside.

amcordo
02-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Hey!

Your best bet is to get it chemically stripped. Do not send it to be galvanized without stripping that paint. you'll just be asking for a crappy job if you do.

Ask your galvanizer if they do chemical dipping. They may do heat stripping instead that supposedly burns away the paint, but I've tried that on a few parts now and it just isn't as clean a job.

I've used these folks for my chemical strip dipping: http://www.americanqualitystripping.com/ You could call them and ask them what process they use and then start calling around you locally to see if anyone does it.

lrdukdog
02-14-2011, 09:24 AM
I believe they have to acid dip the frame before galvanizing. This should remove all the paint inside as well as outside.
I could be mistaken however.
Jim Wolf

amcordo
02-14-2011, 09:27 AM
I believe they have to acid dip the frame before galvanizing. This should remove all the paint inside as well as outside.
I could be mistaken however.
Jim Wolf

Not all places do this. Mine doesn't - they only do the burn off and even that is only if you ask for it. However, I've seen some other folks on here saying that their galvanizer did do the acid bath first. Ask first!

stonefox
02-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Boy ,you fellas were right on it Are you just sitting around eatting Bon Bons waiting for my tread:DThanks for your responses. Yes , my galvy place does a chemical dip that removes rust ,spider webs and mouse nests ,but the fella said it does not remove paint effectively.Go figure!You wouild think that sulfuric acid would gobble up about anything.This is a reputable company so I guess he knows his game.
Anyway I have to get back to painting my nails and watching my Ophra reruns:eek: Any other thoughts would be great.

stonefox
02-26-2011, 02:09 PM
So upon further questioning the galvy company I was thinking of using does not have a chemical stripping ability( not to be confused with pole dancing). Has anyone used a company in south eastern NY or surrounding area for stripping or galvy?