PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Speedometer

amcordo
02-14-2011, 09:55 PM
Anyone have a suggestion for an electronic speedometer to fit the Series 3 dash hole?

Cutter
02-14-2011, 10:07 PM
giving up on the smart phone/gps? can't help you but I wish someone would make a better app than the ones I've found

crankin
02-15-2011, 09:13 AM
There is a sweet looking one on a Delorean that I saw on a movie called "Back to the Future" that would look awesome on your Mad Max ride.

xsbowes
02-15-2011, 12:02 PM
I've been pondering the samething, I'd like to switch to the Moal bomber style gauges with custom dash in the Lightweight:

http://www.moal.com/02_prod/bezel/01-big.jpg

http://www.moal.com/02_prod/bezel.html

Even if I could only peg the speedo in a freefall. Classic Instruments sells the bezels separately so you could get a lower MPH speedo.

I think the LR speedo cable is .1 inch square drive, you'd have to adapt that a sensor/sendor of some type or block it of and use the sender that counts the revs of prop shaft U-joint.

LaneRover
02-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Those look awesome!

How would I ever get to 200mph though? If the Rover has fallen off a cliff I doubt the tires would get enough 'purchase' to spin the speedo enough. . .

xsbowes
02-15-2011, 01:06 PM
pitot tube mounted on the wing?

amcordo
02-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Actually, I don't think you could get the rover to go fast enough in a free fall. I suspect the terminal velocity would be less.

xsbowes
02-15-2011, 02:30 PM
with the lack of good aerodynamics, free fall speeds could be less than highway speeds.

amcordo
02-15-2011, 03:04 PM
There is a sweet looking one on a Delorean that I saw on a movie called "Back to the Future" that would look awesome on your Mad Max ride.

I'm going to go back in time and give mini-you a swirly in school.

Lord Icon
02-17-2011, 12:13 AM
Average terminal velocity of most cars in free fall is 125. I suspect the rover would be less ... Thank you Top Gear......

mongoswede
02-17-2011, 06:00 AM
giving up on the smart phone/gps? can't help you but I wish someone would make a better app than the ones I've found

I use the "Speedview" app on my droid 2 smartphone and have had very good results with it. If you are traveling in a heavily wooded area it might have trouble maintaining a lock on satellites but for the most part it works well. It reports speed, odometer, max speed, heading, and a histogram of your current speed. It also has a HUD function that works pretty well...allows you to project the speed only onto the windshield...very cool. The app is free.

http://s1.appbrain.com/screen?id=-7142087914535557420&i=2

SpeedView uses the phone's built-in GPS system to show your current, maximum and average speed, as well as direction, total distance and time traveled. Suitable for running, car driving, biking or hiking.

* High accuracy
GPS-based speedometer that is more accurate than the one in your car.

* Linear compass
Shows your direction of travel. Compass mode is also available.

* HUD mode
Mirrors the numbers so you can place the phone under your car's windshield and see the speed reflected on it in the dark.

* Speed graph
Displays a graph chart covering the last several minutes.

* Speed warning
You can set speed limits for three different types of roads, so when you go over a visual alert or sound will notify you.

* Display units
Supports units such as miles, kilometers and nautical miles.

* GPX track export
Enables you to save your current track to SD card or email it to someone. GPX format is supported by many applications.

* Background mode
You can minimize the program and keep it running in background. It will work as usual and even notify you when you exceed the speed limit!

Please note that the accuracy depends on your GPS reception quality. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post them on our blog.

NOTE: Contains ads. A paid version is also available.

Recent changes:
* 0 to 100 km/h time
* Improved 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile modes
* The app now restores the recording state
* Fixed: Alert sound bug on some phones

mongoswede
02-17-2011, 06:01 AM
Average terminal velocity of most cars in free fall is 125. I suspect the rover would be less ... Thank you Top Gear......

Unless its in a vacuum