PDA

View Full Version : Stripping rusty parts

mike_cyul
02-15-2011, 08:19 AM
Just wondering if anyone knows a product in which you can soak parts in order to strip paint off them. This as opposed to brushing on and scraping off.

My 1960 88" has some fairly rusty parts that were painted over by the previous owner and just applying paint stripper leaves paint in the small micro rust pits, which takes forever to get out even with brass wire and paint-remover wheels. Media blasting is not an option.

Thanks,

Mike

LaneRover
02-15-2011, 08:26 AM
My brother has used electrolytic rust removal

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm

mongoswede
02-15-2011, 08:29 AM
There is a product that is fairly cheap, doesn't have any real odor and won't take the skin off your hands instantly. I call it brake fluid. Brake fluid will destroy most paints in a pretty short period of time. It won't break down powder coating and some of the enamels seem to be a bit more resistant. but give it a try.

Now if it is rust that you need to strip off of then there are other products that will work. A sand or bead blaster will be the quickest. Otherwise check out the "Eastwood" catalog or the POR15 website for some ideas. And lastly, you could put all the small parts into a plastic tupperwear bin, put in some sand or shot with it, tape the cover on, wrap the tupperwear in a towel and tape the towel in place...then go to your local laundromat, put this assembly in the drier, and tumble dry it for 20 minutes. Sort of a low budget sand blaster.....we used to do this for small motorcycle gas tanks :D

TedW
02-15-2011, 08:36 AM
There is a product that is fairly cheap, doesn't have any real odor and won't take the skin off your hands instantly. I call it brake fluid. Brake fluid will destroy most paints in a pretty short period of time. It won't break down powder coating and some of the enamels seem to be a bit more resistant. but give it a try.

Boy, I'll say. It worked like magic on my original paint finish. Dissolved it in a nanosecond. Trouble was, I didn't want it to!

mike_cyul
02-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Removing rust I can do, it's the paint that needs to go. Not sure what type of paint it is, but it has been pretty resistant to stripper as well. Didn't think of brake fluid! I'll give it a shot.

Mike

masonater
02-15-2011, 10:45 AM
I got a 5 gallon bucket of stuff called Chemdip from autozone last year, i havnt met a paint that can hold up to it yet, or powder coat. Smells like your going to die going near it but does the trick.

widerberg
02-15-2011, 01:07 PM
For some parts, I slather Naval Jelly on, let it sit for a while, slather some more on, rinse, repeat. Then dry and treat with something rust preventive before painting. I suppose if you had a plastic tub of some kind you could soak a part in this stuff. It basically eats away at the rust. How long you leave the part in will depend on how rusty it is. And if the stuff dries on your part, you just add more and it loosens up and rinses off.

rickv100
02-16-2011, 08:23 AM
2x for electrolysis, simple to set up and no hazardous materials to dispose of. It also will stabilise the rust to iron oxide. Plenty of information on the web about how to do it.

Rick

bkreutz
02-16-2011, 02:30 PM
x3 on electrolysis. I've used it on a number of occasions. Sometimes it works great for paint removal, sometimes not, depends on the paint and how it was applied. Here's a link for those interested. http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.com/Miscellaneous/Rust_Removal.htm