PDA

View Full Version : Pulling An Engine

JackIIA
02-15-2011, 12:32 PM
I've got to pull my 2.25 engine. The brackets and retention bolts didn't come with it (red circles in photos below).

Can I simply use opposite head bolts (safely??) to hoist the engine out? I've marked the ones I'd use in purple in the same photos. Anyone done this?

Lastly, anyone know the specs of the bolts used to attach the lifting brackets? They look like 5/16 or something, which seems awfully skinny. I'm guessing they are Whitworth or the like but maybe for a change they'd be UNC or UNF??

I'm guessing it is irrelevant, but this is a series II engine, not IIA. Thanks.

stonefox
02-15-2011, 01:28 PM
I've got to pull my 2.25 engine. The brackets and retention bolts didn't come with it (red circles in photos below).

Can I simply use opposite head bolts (safely??) to hoist the engine out? I've marked the ones I'd use in purple in the same photos. Anyone done this?

Lastly, anyone know the specs of the bolts used to attach the lifting brackets? They look like 5/16 or something, which seems awfully skinny. I'm guessing they are Whitworth or the like but maybe for a change they'd be UNC or UNF??

I'm guessing it is irrelevant, but this is a series II engine, not IIA. Thanks.
I just pulled mine.Its not right infront of me but I'm pretty sure its 5/16 sae fine.Bolt ,flat washer and two short piece of chain on a spreader bar and you'd be in bussinessThere is probably bolts from other parts of your tear down that would work to get it out and on a engine stand.For engine stand bolts I got 4 1/2'' (5/16)?fine thread from the hard ware store .Length maybe different for your engine stand.As far as lifting off the headbolts.... someone else will have to chime in.

JackIIA
02-15-2011, 02:07 PM
I just pulled mine.Its not right infront of me but I'm pretty sure its 5/16 sae fine.Bolt ,flat washer and two short piece of chain on a spreader bar and you'd be in bussinessThere is probably bolts from other parts of your tear down that would work to get it out and on a engine stand.For engine stand bolts I got 4 1/2'' (5/16)?fine thread from the hard ware store .Length maybe different for your engine stand.As far as lifting off the headbolts.... someone else will have to chime in.

Thanks for the info Sean. I'm trying to get my head around the image.

From your description, here's what I'm taking away:

1.) Run a chain link through the shaft of a bolt, and let it 'butt' up against a washer (to keep it from falling off the bolt head). Tighten down fairly snug into the side of the head (attachment point for the lifting bracket).

2.) Do the same with the other end of the chain link to the other bolt (below the first bolt).

3.) Attach an anchor shackle to the 'loop' of chain created above.

4.) Do the above for the other end of the engine.

5.) Attach each shackle to the engine hoist chain and lift.

As I understand it, these engines weight (at most) 660lbs. So, any grade 5 bolt should be OK. I know nothing about chain...I'm assuming the 'thick' stuff at HomeDepot is OK - not the dog leash stuff ;).

I don't have a spreader bar, and never heard of it. Looked it up in google and got some interesting hits! :p.

Terrys
02-15-2011, 03:40 PM
Jack, If you can't find the original lifting brackets, don't bolt the chain to the head. Make yourself a couple of brackets from 1/4"x 1 1/2" flat stock. Drill the two 5/16" hols, then come up a little, say maybe 1 1/2" and drill a 1/2" hole. I'd hate to see you snap a bolt off in the head, or worse, drop your engine.
Use a piece of chain that makes about a 120 degree angle at the lifting point. Any way you lift it, you'll find they don't like to hang perfectly straight up and down. I always seem to have to do a little 'clocking' to get the bolts into the bellhousing.

stonefox
02-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Fabricating a braket would definately be the best way to go.Then you would have at least two bolts in the block on both ends.

Mountain132
02-15-2011, 10:20 PM
PM sent

5/16 UNF worked for me

Mountain132
02-15-2011, 10:22 PM
FYI

stonefox
02-16-2011, 06:25 AM
Jack, I'll send you a set off one of my "jollopies" if you will send en back when you are finished.PM me if you still need 'em .

JackIIA
02-16-2011, 08:25 AM
Hey Sean,

PM sent, thanks a ton. Mountain is tee'ing me up. Terry, thanks for chiming in. I was seriously considering using the head bolts, I mean, what could possibly go wrong....

General question: the brackets shown look different from the one's on Jeff's LW, as well as one's I've seen online. I'm assuming that despite different 'looks', these will all work for a 2.25 engine (whether II or IIA).

But remember, when you assume, you make as @$$ out of Uma Thurman.