PDA

View Full Version : Conniving Ghosts under the Bonnet...

Alaskan Rover
02-17-2011, 09:19 PM
I've got ghosts under the hood. I've been accused of having bats in the belfry, and as a Series IIA daily driver owner for 24 years, they may be right. But I have NEVER in 24 years had such a confounding party of mischevious ghosts under the hood!!

The problem is an ongoing but very intermittant cycle of misfiring:

The engine will be running smoothly...then all of the sudden and out of nowhere, it will begin misfiring...at least it seems like a misfire because I can tell it stuttering at the tailpipe...and then after 5 or ten minutes...the misfiring/stuttering will disappear JUST as mysteriously as it arrived, and will run smoothly again. I never know when it will do it. It is most common just after starting (but it's not a choke thing, either)...but it will just as likely do it when the engine is warm and has been driving for 40 minutes or more.

In trying to devine the problem....I've done the following:

1) Changed the distributer with new proline Rovers North distributer...thus new points and condensor and low tension lead came with it. Checked and adjusted point gap anyway.

2) New set of spark plug wires, including coil wire.

3) Replaced coil with unused spare.

4) Rebuilt the Rochester 1bbl carb (again)...checked float level and drop...but am having a hard time getting fuel/air mixture correct.

5) Timed engine to correct specs...using both static timing and induction timing.

6) Checked and adjusted all tappets for correct clearance.

7) As I write this am doing a Sea Foam treatment through the intake...stuff is now sitting for 30 minutes before starting. After that, I will put 3/4 pint of Sea Foam into crankcase (although I am apprehensive about this part...as my rover is a VERY high mileage rover...well over 450,000 miles!!...so am concerned about the SeaFoam eating away enough deposits near the seals that she'll leak even more than normal.)

I'm at my wits end trying to figure out these particular ghosts and banish them from under my bonnet!

Anybody have any ideas what this could be??

When I had the same symptons before, it turned out to be a faulty low-tension lead inside the distributer grounding against the distrib housing due to vibration. But now, the WHOLE distributer is new, including the low tension lead.

When it is in mis-fire mode...I take my timing light and check all spark plug wires and sure enough they're all firing as normal.

At the same time, when it's misfiring like that...I can remove the #4 plug wire and there is no difference...so it is something to do with the #4 cylinder...but what?

#4 compression is around 40 pounds. That's 40...not 140, BTW. When I add oil to that spark plug hole and then do another compression test, it rises to about 60.

Is it a risk doing the Sea Foam treatment (3/4 pint into crankcase oil) on the engine??

Does it sound like sticking valves (how the heck do valves 'stick' when they're pushed by pushrods, anyway??) or bad rings?

Add oil to the spark plug hole...if compression returns to normal = bad rings...need ring job.

If no change in comnpression, after adding oil to cylinder and compression still very low = bad valves.

But how about in my case....when the compression went up, but not all the way?

And if it was bad rings, it would smoke like hell (it doesn't smoke at all!) and it would not be intermittant.

But if it is bad valves, or sticking lifter, how can THAT be intermittant? Seems it would be ongoing.

The only good sign is that it doesn't smoke blue at all.

But the sympton presents as if it is an electrical (firing) problem. When it goes into mis-firing mode, you can tell easily back at the tailpipe.

HELP!!!!!

SafeAirOne
02-17-2011, 09:46 PM
450,000 miles on the original engine build? Nice.

I didn't see spark plugs on your list of things done. As rudimentary as they are, they can still leak or fail. If you suspect an engine electrical issue, replacing them would be a cheap way of eliminating one item.

Did the valve springs all look OK when you were in there?

EDIT: Also, you don't mention what the compression on the other 3 cylinders were. I doubt they're all 40psi, but then again, it is a 450,000+ engine!

rickv100
02-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Since it is intermittent, I am thinking maybe a fuel line problem? Your list of things attempted did not mention the fuel filter or hoses. At 450,000 miles some of the hoses might be cracked and you are loosing vacum to the fuel pump.

Rick

albersj51
02-17-2011, 11:35 PM
Just throwing this out to the far more knowledge group here...could #4 have both a bad valve and slightly worn rings? maybe that explains the slight increase in compression? Doesn't help with it bring intermittent, for that, i agree with what's been said: plugs and fuel are good to check. What about the fuel pump? Have you looked at that?

Best of luck!

jason

bmohan55
02-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Even though the dizzy is new (I too have a 45d proline) it still may have a bad condensor...I changed out my new one with an older one and my intermitent engine shut-down/mis-firing went away. Just a thought...

BTW 450,000 miles/ 24 years of ownership, priceless!

siii8873
02-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Pluggage in fuel system maybe. That could be intermittant as gunk moves around. How does the fuel bowl look on the pump?

singingcamel
02-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Pick up tube in the tank can cause misfire issue due to the screen pugged with silt.
What was wrong with the original dizzy. If it was replaced just because ,you may want to try the old one to eliminate a crappy Proline dizzy.
Retorque your carb at the base or look for leaks ..Marc
www.singingcamel.com (http://www.singingcamel.com)

gudjeon
02-18-2011, 02:19 PM
A failing fuel pump can mimmick electrical problems. It did on mine and took me ages to rule it out as it acted and distracted.:sly:

Triumphdaytona2007
02-18-2011, 04:57 PM
mine used to do the same thing and it turned out that i had a tiny bit of water in my fuel tank, every now and then while drivin around it would suck a bit of water and misfire for a few mins, i found out where the water was getting in at and tightened the clamps and started putting isoheet in the tank every now and then and havent had any more problems

Alaskan Rover
02-18-2011, 08:18 PM
Update:

Tried something else just a hour ago, during mid-trip. I pulled into a auto parts store with the thing sputtering and mis-firing, as if on three cylinders (and HELL getting up hills!), and figured I'd try seeing if the inline fuel cylinders might be the reason.

I've been running twin inline fuel filters (the clear plastic-housing ones) on the fuel line after the fuel pump...mostly because I'm used to boats and you always run multiple filters in series on a marine diesel. This time I took out one filter and replaced it with a simple connector, and then renewed the other one with a brand new inline filter. So now am just running one inline filter.

Oddly enough, the engine seemed to have liked that change very much! Runs not nearly as rough and easier starting to boot.

So now I'm going to check whatever filter comes with the mechanical fuel pump, and check the glass sediment bowl too. Haven't even LOOKED at the fuel pump in years!!

I think you guys are exactly right, it is a fuel problem...at least as far as mis-firing. Still runs a little rough...so will re-check all tappets for proper clearance...and re-time again....

But so far...knock on wood...no misfiring since replacing the fuel filter.

Quote from Bmohan55:
"BTW 450,000 miles/ 24 years of ownership, priceless!"

Thanks!! Even after 24 years of pretty much daily driving all over Alaska, the Yukon, Northwest Territories, lower 48...etc, I STILL love EVERY single minute of driving it. I have never driven another vehicle that is so well built and still so solid after nearly half a million miles!! They are INCREDIBLE vehicles!!!

Land Rover Series....the Best 4x4x4. Truly.