PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Case Leak

srqlandy
02-21-2011, 12:22 PM
I have a 2001 Discovery II SE7. I have recently had gear oil accumulating on my garage floor under the transfer case. The T-case was of course covered in oil and appeared to be that the pan seal had failed. I drained, removed the pan, cleaned, resealed with 1/4" bead of RTV, and refilled. Drove the truck 100 miles and parked for the night. The oil leak showed up again the next morning in the same spot with the same amount of oil on the ground. I think the next logical spot to check is the front and rear output flanges on the T-Case. Does anyone have any experience in repairing/replacing these seals

srqlandy
02-22-2011, 06:45 AM
I got back under the truck and it isn't the output shaft seals either. It appears that the leak might be coming form on top of the unit or where the two halves join. Any thoughts our insight would be great. Also, now the truck will not shift from Hi to Lo range. The handle has always been a little notchy, but now it is stuck in Hi. Help!:eek:

srqlandy
02-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Alright, Tonight I took apart the center console like i was installing a CDL lever to see if the cable was bound up or corroded using the information in the Lucky8 video. I completely disassembled the console and found that the cable itself is fine and moves freely. On the Hi / Lo box it is stuck and will not move even when the cable is freed. I any help would be much appreciated. BTW, the truck does have a CDL there so I will be hooking it up if I ever get this other thing figured out.

phoenix
02-23-2011, 09:52 PM
there are couple of "o" rig seals which need to be replaced when doing a reseal, on the shift issues I suspect the front output housing was removed. if so you may have misintalled a detent ball.
down load this. "landroverresource.com" it is a copy of the factory manual review and familiarize yourself with innards of your truck.
good luck.

srqlandy
02-24-2011, 08:16 PM
When I changed the oil in the Transfer case all i removed was the bottom cover held in by 10 bolts. Nothing else. The Front and Rear output shafts were never removed.

My next thought is that there is a Neutral interlock or something that wont allow the t-case to shift into low/high unless the Case gets a "neutral" signal from the ECM. Does anyone have any insight?

roven
06-23-2011, 09:50 PM
First thing don't ever put RTV on anything and drive 100 miles; needs to cure at least over night; at least for fluid holding applications. I also have a 2001 D2 SE7 and after purchase @ 40,000 was told wouldn't shift into low range. A little pb nutblaster on the linckage and bingo has worked ever since. My main reason for response is how do you know you have an available cdl to make it work, I've been on this for 3 years and ever answer is I don't without the little 10mm 2 sided nut on top. Do you know what I'm talking about? Or anyone else?