PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had anything galvanized in Florida?

widerberg
02-22-2011, 07:56 AM
Hi, All:

I'm starting to come around to the idea of galvanizing my baby's frame, rather than my initial plan of sanding/blasting, rust repair (if any), rust-preventive priming, Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator or POR15, then a top coat. Plus, a ton of Waxoyl inside the cavity.

Now, my problem is, I can't find anyone near me in Florida to have the frame hot dipped and galvanized. There's a place called IG that's "sort of" near me, but they only do commercial and won't even discuss doing my frame. The only other place I've found is Metal Plate all the way up in Jacksonville. I haven't even called them to see if they do frames because my only option for getting up there is to take a day off work and rent a UHaul. This will add quite a bit to the cost, and I'm already on an extremely limited budget for my restoration.

Any ideas? Anyone in Florida use anyone besides IG or Metal Plate?

Many thanks!

Bo

LaneRover
02-22-2011, 08:22 AM
I have not done anything up here in Jacksonville - actually never had anything galvanized. But I am interested in checking out the Metal Plate place for future usage.

So depending on my schedule and so on I may be able to help you check that place out.

Brent

widerberg
02-22-2011, 08:34 AM
Hi, Brent:

Thanks, that would be very helpful. No rush, really. I'm still flip-flopping. My frame is in pretty good condition from what I can tell, but I probably won't make a decision one way or another until I get the rear tub and the rest of the body bits off and assess the whole frame. I was hoping someone local could go the galvy, which would make my decision easier and probably tip me in favor of just getting it done.

We'll see :)

Bo

SeriesShorty
02-22-2011, 10:06 AM
What part of Florida are you?

sailtech
02-22-2011, 10:49 AM
I recently had my windscreen frame, bumper, and all the trim for the tub, galvanized at IG in Columbia, SC. They did a great job for a very reasonable price. I called them several months ago and the person I spoke with said it was best to just show up with the parts, rather than ask ahead of time. So, that's what I did.

widerberg
02-22-2011, 08:05 PM
What part of Florida are you?

West Central. Tampa-ish.

IG is in Tampa, which would have been pretty convenient, but sadly they only do commercial. I even asked if I could "sneak in" a frame on a larger commercial order and they wouldn't even entertain the idea :(

widerberg
02-22-2011, 08:07 PM
I recently had my windscreen frame, bumper, and all the trim for the tub, galvanized at IG in Columbia, SC. They did a great job for a very reasonable price. I called them several months ago and the person I spoke with said it was best to just show up with the parts, rather than ask ahead of time. So, that's what I did.

Hmmm. Interesting approach. I may just try that with some smaller bits, to test the waters. I'd hate to show up with the whole frame and be turned away.