PDA

View Full Version : Enthusiasts in CA?

alaskajosh
02-22-2011, 11:11 AM
We're touring up the CA coast in our Carawagon. Any CA enthusiasts interested in meeting up? Telling us about or showing us local drives or attractions?
Our Alaskan bound ferry doesn't depart WA until late March so we have some time!
Today we're in Julian, east of San Diego, and plan to drive into Anzo-Borrego. It's pretty snowy here!
http://alaskanrambler.wordpress.com/

907 351-7970

LaneRover
02-22-2011, 11:21 AM
I am no longer out there but definitely have some pie in Julian!

In Anza Borrego there are some gorgeous areas to see and some great washes to explore. I think there is an official California off road recreation area. Usually there is a section that won't just have a bunch of guys ripping around on motorcycles.

Head out to the badlands area and have a wonderful view of the dessert.

Another area to go and see if you have time is the Imperial Dunes on the way to Yuma Arizona.

Brent

TeriAnn
02-22-2011, 11:25 AM
We're touring up the CA coast in our Carawagon. Any CA enthusiasts interested in meeting up? Telling us about or showing us local drives or attractions?
Our Alaskan bound ferry doesn't depart WA until late March so we have some time!
Today we're in Julian, east of San Diego, and plan to drive into Anzo-Borrego. It's pretty snowy here!
http://alaskanrambler.wordpress.com/

There is a big batch of people in the Monterey and San Francisco bay areas and big batches in the Portland & Seattle areas as well.

You might consider joining the mendo email list and ask your question again.

They are a google group. I think you can join with the following email:

mendo_recce+subscribe@googlegroups.com

knac1234
02-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Sounds like a great trip!

I second the pie in Julian (and not cause it is my namesake!)....was out there several years ago, but in the MG!

Take a trip up to Big Bear which is close to San Diego! My old stomping grounds....well, now I think about it the hills/mountain might be a challenge!

I did a coastal trip from LA to Seattle on our honeymoon a couple of years ago, again in the MG. Harmony was a quaint small town on the coast......might be worth a stop.....I know there are others.....the PCH in the Monterey area was awesome.

Good luck...
Julian

RoverForm
02-22-2011, 06:01 PM
just spent the weekend in Mammoth for a bit of skiing/snowboarding... the weather was amazing and the scenery of the sierra nevada's is worth the trip. i'd say go there if you're heading north up the I 15 from San Diego.

from there you can drive down and go through los angeles to the coast (perhaps santa monica beach) then take pacific coast highway up to monterey and big sur.

if you want details hit me up.