PDA

View Full Version : series IIa trans

woodman1
02-22-2011, 04:54 PM
How much does a series IIa transmission and transfer case weigh? I need to pull mine and need to know if I need a cherry picker.
Any help appreciated.

leafsprung
02-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Not so heavy you cant lift it by yourself, but heavy enough to be awkward.

Momo
02-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Never weighed the whole assembly, but it's at probably near 200 lbs. dry.

You can take it out the bottom if you want. Put some heavy cardboard down under the truck. Once you have the unit unbolted from the mounts and broken free of the engine, you can slide it back, tip it aft, and drop the trans brake drum gently to the cardboard. Work it down all the way to the ground. You may need to put the front of the truck up on jack stands to get enough clearance but it will work. Once it's on the ground you can slide it out on the cardboard. You can get it back in this way too.

Another way would be to lift it one end at a time onto 2x4s laid across the sills. Then work a piece of plywood under the unit and slide it out the door. Best to have a helper to get it done this way. Ike is right, they are awkward and it's a back injury waiting to happen (that's why I use gravity to my advantage and take it out the bottom).

Triumphdaytona2007
02-22-2011, 06:09 PM
i would reccomend using a cherry picker its pretty heavy and awkward, i used a bobcat to lift mine out

gudjeon
02-22-2011, 06:13 PM
I had the help of another person to do this. I removed the seat box, floor and passenger door. Once everything was unbolted, I put about a 6' length of pipe across on the top of assembly and tied rope snugly around and lifted it whole. One person lifting on each side, slide it back and rotate. Then lift out the passenger door. Once removed, do what you need. Oh, I put a small chunk of 1x4 under the flywheel housing to give engine support after. A cherry picker could do this and lifting it yourself is possible. I get a helper as I don't like hernias.:thumb-up:

I Leak Oil
02-22-2011, 06:54 PM
I've done it by myself with no lift, not the smartest thing I've done though. Getting it out is easier than getting it back in. IMO it's not worth getting yourself hurt. It's awkward and not balanced very well. A buddy is better for the job than a cherry picker.

Apis Mellifera
02-22-2011, 08:13 PM
It's in the neighborhood of 21 stone.

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6245&highlight=transmission+weight

Cherry picker without question. I used to tote around MG engines, gearboxes, and axles by hand. Now my back is about as flexible as a piece of uncooked spaghetti. Unless you have a removable cross member, it will be even more of a pain. Both times I pulled the gearbox from my SIII, it had to come out the right door. I did it alone with a cherry picker.

lrdukdog
02-22-2011, 10:35 PM
"Not so heavy you cant lift it by yourself, but heavy enough to be awkward."
Ike, how's the back these days?
yes, use an engine hoist or summat like that and save yer back fer important (nod,nod , wink,wink) fun stuff.
Jim Wolf
Who gets another injection in his back on the 24th.

cousindave
02-23-2011, 06:01 AM
It's very manageable if you seperate the transfr case from the transmission that's how I did it withou killing my back

CMorris
02-23-2011, 09:20 AM
187 pounds shipped.

gudjeon
02-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Save your back, Use a picker. If you find its overkill, then that's OK. If you find you strength taxed without it, then you have a problem.:thumb-up: