PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Conversion

Momo
02-23-2011, 05:46 PM
I just installed a new Delco 10si along with Pangolin alternator brackets. I'm wondering about my re-wire job, though.

Problems:

1. The charge light is never on, even with motor off and key turned to "on".

2. The turn signal flasher unit is now tripping at about 3 times the speed it should.

Otherwise, the oil pressure light works, head and tail lights work, and the ammeter is indicating charge but the needle is not pinned- which it ought to be. Weird, huh.

No smoke, no shorts, no obvious faults observed.

Here's how it's wired:

ALTERNATOR TO HARNESS:
Wire from #1 (excite) terminal on Alt goes to lower fuse (unswitched power).
Wire from # 2 (sense) terminal on Alt goes to charge light on dash.
Wire from Battery lug terminal on Alt goes to ammeter.

MODS TO DELETE VOLTAGE REGULATOR:

The wires from terminals A1 (two brown wires with blue tracers) and A (brown wire with white tracer) were all spliced together.

The other end of the A1 wires goes to the ignition switch.
The other end of the A wire goes to the ammeter.

The other 3 wires are disconnected from the voltage regulator and insulated.

I can post pics if you need me to. This is on a '64 IIA converted to negative ground BTW.

siiirhd88
02-23-2011, 07:09 PM
I don't know about the wires on the voltage regulator, but I blieve the brown with yellow tracer wire to the charge light should attach to the #1 terminal on the alternator. The #2 terminal should be the sense wire, usually a small brown wire that attaches to the battery side of the starter solenoid, but in reality can attach to the Bat. lug on the rear side of the alternator where the larger "power out" wire is attached.

Bob