PDA

View Full Version : Thread search

stonefox
02-24-2011, 06:48 AM
within the last few weeks on one of the threads .Someone post their personal site or blog that showed their resto.They had pictures of their newly galvinized bulkhead among other things.From what I can remember the background on the site was black and the site was well done .I think it may have been posted by someone fairly new.I know this sounds fairly vague just thought this may ring a bell with somebody.It may have been posted on the GnR site.Dont lose sleep over this ,just wished my memory wasnt so spent.:confused:

albersj51
02-24-2011, 08:01 AM
Are you taking about the guy who discussed the galvanizing process in great deal? If so, look at my rebuild thread on GnR, I think he posted a link there. Good luck!

shock
02-24-2011, 08:36 AM
I'm not a big fan of the search capabilities of this forum or other forums for that matter so sometimes the best way to search this site is via google. In your search use "site:roversnorth.com <search info>" that way it will only return roversnorth results. It's the sort of thing you can do for any site/forum/etc and you get the search flexibility of google.

albersj51
02-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Is this it?

http://www.gottdenerdesigns.com/galvanizing.html

stonefox
02-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Is this it?

http://www.gottdenerdesigns.com/galvanizing.html
That's the one thanks!So it was on the other forum.I'm losing my mind:D

Momo
02-24-2011, 11:17 PM
That's Brett's website. Great reading. His 88 is a work of art, all kinds of custom fabbed stuff. Brett and I will be taking another batch of parts to be galvanized soon. I'll post on it when we're done...

albersj51
02-24-2011, 11:56 PM
Momo,

I'm taking a frame and bulkhead to get dipped soon...do you do any kind of bracing of the footwells/tunnel area to prevent warping, or is that a very minor concern? Just dropped some big money on a frame and bulkhead, so I don't want it to get screwed up.

westcoastkevin
02-26-2011, 05:51 AM
Momo,

I'm taking a frame and bulkhead to get dipped soon...do you do any kind of bracing of the footwells/tunnel area to prevent warping, or is that a very minor concern? Just dropped some big money on a frame and bulkhead, so I don't want it to get screwed up.

Are you going to use these guys?
http://www.southatlanticllc.com/service/socarolina.html

albersj51
02-26-2011, 09:47 AM
Are you going to use these guys?
http://www.southatlanticllc.com/service/socarolina.html

Yup! Thats the only one in my area. Why, got dirt on them?

Momo
02-26-2011, 10:30 PM
Albers, this will be my first bulkhead. Ike is really the informed one on this stuff. I think he's done scores of them.

On my 109 pickup I dipped all the parts that were originally galvanized. Slight warp to a capping but it rivetted down fine.

All the reports I've heard about warping basically amounted to stuff that wasn't obvious to the eye but discovered during the body reassembly. Mainly doors that didn't align. I don't think you'd have to worry too much about buckling in the footwell sheetmetal.

In any case warping is unpredictable but the main worry I would have is a warp is across the whole unit and the "feet" of the bulkhead are tweaked (leading to poor door alignment). That's where I would brace. I think it would have to be one hell of a brace though. And then you have to get it off.

I'm more concerned about zinc pooling in the dash pockets, since the bulkhead will be hung most likely by the windshield tab. I'll probably put some extra drain holes in the corners and then use some zinc bungs to close them up afterward.

I'm shooting for late March to get it all dipped so I'll let you know how it goes.

albersj51
02-26-2011, 11:09 PM
Thanks, momo...ike is who im getting my frame and bulkhead from (the man is a rover genus!). He said he's only experienced warping in the lower center, which is hardly noticable. I read that site and he mentioned bracing so I thought id ask. Good point on the shelf pooling, ill have to do the same. Let me know how it goes.