PDA

View Full Version : Series IIa - No more second gear

VespaFitz
02-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Hey folks:

I've got a 1970 Series IIa. After driving it for a while, it started popping out of second gear. Then, the problem got progressively worse, where you'd have to hold it in second, and now second gear seems to have disappeared completely.

I'd rather not embark on a complete transmission rebuild if I don't have to. Is there anything I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance.:thumb-up:

I Leak Oil
02-24-2011, 11:14 AM
The gear lever won't go into second or it does and there's just no gear there?

VespaFitz
02-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Let's see if I can explain this:

It feels like it almost goes into gear, but it just won't drop into place. I can feel stuff turning in there, but it sort of feels like something moved over time and won't engage the way it's supposed to.

I Leak Oil
02-24-2011, 02:49 PM
So the shifter won't even go where it's supposed to. Could be your detents as discussed here http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11192&page=2

....or you may have a bad second gear set in which case it needs to come out.:(

Check the detents then take off the cover and have a look inside.

VespaFitz
02-24-2011, 03:16 PM
So the shifter won't even go where it's supposed to. Could be your detents as discussed here http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11192&page=2

....or you may have a bad second gear set in which case it needs to come out.:(

Check the detents then take off the cover and have a look inside.

Fantastic! Thanks for the link. I was looking around earlier and didn't see that one.

Terrys
02-24-2011, 04:28 PM
The plastic ring on the end of your gearshift lever may have disintegrated. You may have initially been able to get the lever to move the selector shaft part way, but not enough to fully reach the detent, and now you might not be moving the selector shaft enough to even engage it.

I Leak Oil
02-25-2011, 04:44 AM
Terrys right about the plastic but only if you have that type of shifter which is the later type. Still possible though.
If you're really lucky you'll take the tunnel cover off to find something wedged against the selector rod. That would be an easy fix!