PDA

View Full Version : 2.25 petrol five bearing flywheel housing???

farmer
02-25-2011, 06:23 PM
I will be replacing my three bearing 2.25 petrol engine with a five bearing engine. the problem is the five bearing engine doesn't have a flywheel or flywheel housing. can I use my old flywheel and housing off of my old engine?if I can't then where can I get a flywheel housing and flywheel for a 2.25 five bearing engine? Thanks

I Leak Oil
02-26-2011, 12:45 PM
I'm pretty sure you're old one will fit the new motor.

farmer
02-27-2011, 12:23 PM
I thought the rear main seal was different on the three bearing block requiring a different flywheel housing.

I Leak Oil
02-27-2011, 04:12 PM
I think that may be one of the differences between a 2.25L and a 2.5L. Once you have them out just take the old one off and try it. You'll know for sure then.

rosims
02-28-2011, 09:10 AM
I will be replacing my three bearing 2.25 petrol engine with a five bearing engine. the problem is the five bearing engine doesn't have a flywheel or flywheel housing. can I use my old flywheel and housing off of my old engine?if I can't then where can I get a flywheel housing and flywheel for a 2.25 five bearing engine? Thanks
They are different and will not interchange. The rear seal for the 5 main engine is in the flywheel housing. Just got thru swapping mine over. YOu will have to find one for the 5 main engine
Robert

I Leak Oil
02-28-2011, 09:19 AM
OK that's good to know info there, I thought it was just different between the 2.25L and 2.5L. Bummer for farmer though...

rosims
02-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Even tho they are the same, theres quite a bit different, the 5 main is metric and the 3 main is not. I have run into quite a bit, because of this, mainly small stuff. Heater fittings, bolts, etc. But just about got it ready to crank up. There is some pictures I posted on the "What did you do today" thread. you can see the difference in the housings. The 5 main is built a lot tougher, has a lot more ribs and reinforcing to it. I think the flywheel is different too. Luckily mine was a complete takeout.

rosims
02-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Fly wheel is different. you will have to find both.