2.25 petrol five bearing flywheel housing???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • farmer
    Low Range
    • Nov 2008

2.25 petrol five bearing flywheel housing???

I will be replacing my three bearing 2.25 petrol engine with a five bearing engine. the problem is the five bearing engine doesn't have a flywheel or flywheel housing. can I use my old flywheel and housing off of my old engine?if I can't then where can I get a flywheel housing and flywheel for a 2.25 five bearing engine? Thanks
  • I Leak Oil
    Overdrive
    • Nov 2006

I'm pretty sure you're old one will fit the new motor.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• farmer
      Low Range
      • Nov 2008

I thought the rear main seal was different on the three bearing block requiring a different flywheel housing.

Comment

• I Leak Oil
        Overdrive
        • Nov 2006

I think that may be one of the differences between a 2.25L and a 2.5L. Once you have them out just take the old one off and try it. You'll know for sure then.
        Jason

Comment

• rosims
          Low Range
          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by farmer
          I will be replacing my three bearing 2.25 petrol engine with a five bearing engine. the problem is the five bearing engine doesn't have a flywheel or flywheel housing. can I use my old flywheel and housing off of my old engine?if I can't then where can I get a flywheel housing and flywheel for a 2.25 five bearing engine? Thanks
          They are different and will not interchange. The rear seal for the 5 main engine is in the flywheel housing. Just got thru swapping mine over. YOu will have to find one for the 5 main engine
          Robert
          Last edited by rosims; 02-28-2011, 11:11 AM. Reason: Misspelled word
          sigpic
          2006 LR3
          1967 109 Station Wagon
          M37B1
          M38A1

Comment

• I Leak Oil
            Overdrive
            • Nov 2006

OK that's good to know info there, I thought it was just different between the 2.25L and 2.5L. Bummer for farmer though...
            Jason

Comment

• rosims
              Low Range
              • Jun 2010

Even tho they are the same, theres quite a bit different, the 5 main is metric and the 3 main is not. I have run into quite a bit, because of this, mainly small stuff. Heater fittings, bolts, etc. But just about got it ready to crank up. There is some pictures I posted on the "What did you do today" thread. you can see the difference in the housings. The 5 main is built a lot tougher, has a lot more ribs and reinforcing to it. I think the flywheel is different too. Luckily mine was a complete takeout.
              sigpic
              2006 LR3
              1967 109 Station Wagon
              M37B1
              M38A1

Comment

• rosims
                Low Range
                • Jun 2010

Fly wheel is different. you will have to find both.
                sigpic
                2006 LR3
                1967 109 Station Wagon
                M37B1
                M38A1

Comment

Working...