PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox indentificaton

JimCT
02-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Just picked up 2 gearboxes today, on 15101218 no letter and the rubber fill cap held down with an arm, the other is 25470182 F. Could anyone help with what years these would be? thanks Jim

cedryck
02-26-2011, 02:55 PM
Jim, knowing if they have sycro's in second gear would help ID the 2a to series three years.

I Leak Oil
02-27-2011, 07:14 AM
You know Jim, there was so much overlap in parts and years that I think it might be imposible to determine an exact year with any certainty. The best you can hope for is to figure out if it's a synchro or non-synchro box and that might give you a period of time when they were used. Example, if the F suffix box is non-synchro then it's most likely a much later SIIa, probably '70 or '71. Not sure the SIII boxes ever made it to a suffix F or not. The box with no suff. letter is obviously an early unit, synchro or non? Does it have holes on both sides of the bell housing for the clutch linkage?

JimCT
02-27-2011, 07:20 AM
The older one does have holes on both sides of the bellhousing. If I am correct that should have the lower geared transfer case. Thought that might work well with the newer gearbox and give the ambulance a bit more grunt in the woods.

I Leak Oil
02-27-2011, 07:56 AM
Ooooo.....that's a good piece for someone. Probably an early SII. Makes a good retrofit for SI's because of the bellhousing. Not sure of the gearing, but if you keep the transfer case then offer the tranny out so someone can keep an early series going! NICE!

yorker
02-27-2011, 05:19 PM
I think ther F was the latest of the IIa's so it should have all the IIa upgrades. as for the other t case:
http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=2421