PDA

View Full Version : 2.6 use same alternator as 2.25?

Cutter
02-27-2011, 05:17 PM
My alt is out on my 2.6, it is a rebuilt unit from RN and I still have the original Lucas unit in a box. The rebuilt unit only lasted 5-6 years based on when the PO told me he swapped it. I see they are no longer available as rebuilt, but I'm wondering if I should buy the proline unit(assuming it fits), rebuild what I've got at a local shop, or try an aftermarket upgrade. Obviously the added amps from an aftermarket would be nice as well as the ease of replacement later on, but I'm not hugely interested in fabricating brackets at this point in time, though I will if it is the best option.

LaneRover
02-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Personally I would try and get the alternator rebuilt locally.

Lord Icon
02-28-2011, 04:44 PM
I upgraded my Lucas bit for a ac delco 10 si 63 amp output. I used the Ike Goss Pangolin brackets. It worked flawless and was a big help at the winter romp during my 5 hour winch extraction. The original Lucas "thing" would have gone up in smoke.
While I am all for keeping it real ... The upgrade was easy, the results are fantastic and the parts are easily found and replaced anywhere parts are sold if ever needed....
Where is the down side again?

I Leak Oil
02-28-2011, 05:33 PM
You can try to have it rebuilt if you're really into the no building brackets thing.
You really can't go wrong with making a Delco fit though. Make it work, when you need to change it out just head down to ANY parts store to exchange it. Oh, and you'll probably be getting more amps out of the basic delco than you ever will out of the Lucas pile of wire.
Feeling any peer pressure yet?

Cutter
02-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Sorry Guys, I took it across the block to the local shop that does rebuilds, I really understand the logic behind the modern upgrade, but I'll cross that bridge next time.

I actually went to an autozone to get an ac delco unit but (get this) the 16 year old kid behind the counter didn't want to go get it to let me look at it because he saw my old one and said it had the wrong mounting style- literally the words out of his mouth were "don't make me do a lot of work to go get that thing if you don't know you are going to buy it." I looked at the older person next to him behind the counter to get a reaction, which there was none so I turned around and left.

At the moment my patience for working on the truck is reaching a limit, mainly because I am trying to fit everything on schedule with my 1 year old's nap schedule on the weekends and it is putting a bit too much rush on jobs I don't want to rush. Really its not my patience for working on the truck, but my wife's patience....

siiirhd88
02-28-2011, 08:15 PM
I think all of the Rover, MG, Triumph, etc. Lucas alternators used the same mounting brackets, but there were wire plug differences.

Some of the MG guys use a 55 amp Bosch alternator from a 1980 Ford Fiesta (I think I have one, somewhere), and others use a 110 amp unit from a Saturn. Both supposedly will mount to the original brackets, but the Saturn unit must have the pully changed from a serp to the V belt type.

On my old Sprite I used a Subaru alternator, but one alternator ear or the water pump ear had to be cut down to fit.

I'll try to find the Bosch Ford alternator and post a pic.

Me, I'd just modify to fit a Delco....

Bob

LaneRover
02-28-2011, 08:59 PM
My favorite is when they want to know the exact car the dang thing came out of in order to see if it produces electricity when it spins.

Terrys
03-01-2011, 06:30 AM
Asking an Autozone clerk for help is like asking the bag boy at Stop & Shop for his best recipe. Autozone sells mostly crap and their knowledge matches. I'm surprised they can be programed not to ask if "you want fries with that".
I only deal with NAPA and Carquest.

yorker
03-01-2011, 07:24 AM
Asking an Autozone clerk for help is like asking the bag boy at Stop & Shop for his best recipe. Autozone sells mostly crap and their knowledge matches. I'm surprised they can be programed not to ask if "you want fries with that".
I only deal with NAPA and Carquest.

Service at all of them seems to have gone to hell or at least become highly variable. I had a NAPA I have dealt with for 20 years lie and tell me they don't carry a part that 4 other more distant Napa had available. "nope we don't carry those". Obviously I was talking to some kid who didn't want to be bothered looking it up, I must have interrupted his coffee break or something.

Oddly enough the local Autozone has an old counterman who must have retired from a real autoparts store and picked up a part time job at the 'zone. He is awesome. Quality autoparts countermen are a real rarity nowadays.

Cutter
03-01-2011, 07:36 AM
My local autozone is in the inner city here and the guys at the counter are mostly pretty good, not knowledgeable particularly, but at least they put the effort in and are somewhat helpful. Now the guys at the alternator shop I went to are the real deal, old, smokey, filthy and a bit of no bs attitude.

junkyddog11
03-02-2011, 05:58 AM
I wondered about that alternator when the Toad was in the shop. Looked like a pain in the arse to convert to Delco, not at all like the 2.25. I can't blame you at all for getting it rebuilt. Nothing really wrong with the unit (other than being worn out).

Cutter
03-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I'm now wondering if I should get the spare that came with the truck rebuilt for a back up, or just to sell to put towards more exciting things like fixing my leaking swivel joints, or off road goodies. I'm thinking its probably worth keeping...

LaneRover
03-02-2011, 12:53 PM
I am a big fan of having a spare when it isn't something readily available at Napa.

gudjeon
03-02-2011, 02:20 PM
I run a Delco with little mod to make fit and a kit to rebuild the whole thing is only 40 bucks.That and my 10 dollar Ohm meter tells me if my diodes, stator, rotor and slip rings are still good. With any retrofit part, you just tell they guy behind the counter what the application is, instead of telling him what you are trying to retrofit it to. Work for me. My alternator is from a 1986 Pontiac Acadian 4 speed. Thats all they need to know. I'll do the rest.:thumb-up:

Cutter
03-02-2011, 03:52 PM
gudjeon, is that on a 2.6? love to see a pic of how you have it mounted if that is the case..

gudjeon
03-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Sorry on a 2.25. I ground a step on the large ear and made my own through bolt, and spacer to mount up to original generator mount. The top bracket was just from the alternator donor and welded on to suit.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/gudjeon/Oct07005.jpg

johnnyhats
03-09-2011, 07:08 PM
My alt is out on my 2.6, it is a rebuilt unit from RN and I still have the original Lucas unit in a box. The rebuilt unit only lasted 5-6 years based on when the PO told me he swapped it. I see they are no longer available as rebuilt, but I'm wondering if I should buy the proline unit(assuming it fits), rebuild what I've got at a local shop, or try an aftermarket upgrade. Obviously the added amps from an aftermarket would be nice as well as the ease of replacement later on, but I'm not hugely interested in fabricating brackets at this point in time, though I will if it is the best option.
Hello Gents,

I thought I'd share some info on what I found for a replacement for my old 2.25 D lump with the 43 amp alternator. I have also had the thought of converting to a larger alt with more amps but really didn't like to idea of the brackets, although pangolin brackets was where I was leaning... Well, yesterday my mechanic gave no choice but to figure out a solution since he broke one of the pivot points on the alternator (the cost of not doing things yourself). There's a few suppliers of a Lucas 70 amp that will bolt directly in without any brackets and the 3 pin connectors are the same so no splicing (you can google 'Type A127 70 amp'). The alternators vary from new to remanufactured and vary in prices from $108 - $260. If anyone does go with this route be sure to get the pulley and fan on the unit. The 43 amp has a 15mm shaft and the 70 amp comes with a 17mm shaft therefore you cannot use the old pulley/fan. I ended up getting a new OEM Lucas multi-fit 70 amp unit (Part #: LEA0272) which you can mount for either on the right or left. The unit is from ELREG Distributors up in Buffalo, NY (http://www.elreg.com/catalog_product.aspx?prod_id=1009). The cost was $108 which I felt was a steal considering all other options, and no core charge.

Here are some other options for a Lucas 70 amp alternator without using brackets:

IAT in Queens NY. Great marine and agriculture parts supplier. I wanted to go with this unit as it is close to stock as it gets but the RH (right-hand) unit didn't have the pulley and fan and I didn't feel like spending more time trying to source them. $115 bucks and again no core charge.
Lucas 12V / 70 Amp A127 Type Alternator
http://www.iat-usa.com/zoom.asp?pid=A290

Also, NAPA Auto Parts has a 70 amp (part #: WIL 90178065) too in their Pro Series Line: http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=WIL90178065_0239795320. Little less bang for me since it's not Lucas and it's remanufactured and more money but good to know for an emergency since NAPA is all over.. I believe they have a 120 amp too. If you want to inquire on that, then call their 800 number and reference this older number (Part #: NAE 12088). The service person will ask you which alt amp you want 70 or 120 - just asked for the 70.

And one last interesting site I ran across if you'd really have to time to spend and like to go big on your alternator, http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/Brackets.html. It seems there's enough universal brackets to accept pretty much anything you would like to put into the ole landy's. You can also try source a marine alternator that will well be over 100 amp and should bolt directly in. I ran across one but lost it in the search.

Of course I am no expert on alternators and I am still waiting on my purchase to install it myself...

Cheers!

johnnyhats
03-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Follow-up to my previous post..

I did not mention that the alternator I was replacing is for a 1983 110 2.25 NA Diesel. Again, I did purchase an OEM Lucas multi-fit 70 amp unit (Part #: LEA0272) from ELREG Distributors up in Buffalo, NY and fits perfectly and no slicing as the connector fits right on the 3 blades on the unit. The alternator fits a little tight with the muti-fit ears that sit on top so I had to fit a shorter belt for clearance and a snug fit. I did end up having to source a pulley as the one that was installed extended 1/4" far out from alignment. I sourced the pulley from a local shop in Brooklyn NY, Patterson Battery Services, who actually deals with IAT and can provide you with the correct pulley and the Lucas 70 amp alternator for the same cost as buying it from IAT (mentioned in previous post and below in this post). They were great and Mike there was very quick as they know all about alternators and batteries.

Patterson Battery Services
371 Union Avenue
NY 11211-3426
(718) 782-7360
Ask for Mike

The new alternator works flawlessly and has almost doubled the amps from the old 43 amp Lucus but I would recommend purchasing a right-hand or left-hand mount unit (Lucas 12V / 70 Amp A127 Type Alternator http://www.iat-usa.com/zoom.asp?pid=A290) from IAT in Queens NY if you are looking for a stock alt appearance.

-john

Cutter
03-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the info, good resources to be aware of.