PDA

View Full Version : What holds the drive shaft together?

masonater
02-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Last winter when i took the drive shafts apart to clean them up. A "C" clip and a fat cork looking washer came out the inside of the threaded cap on the sleeved ends of both drive shafts. One was rusted beyond saving and i still have the other that is in good shape (see picture) It seems like spring steel or something. I've called RN and several other places and no body knows about it. Its not listed in any parts or operation books either. It seems to me that its purpose is to hold the grease in from filling up the gators, while also keeping the shaft from coming in 2. Has anyone found a replacement for this?

bkreutz
02-28-2011, 04:04 PM
You could try a local driveshaft rebuild place, that arrangement has been used for a long time. Walk in with the part rather than phone in.

LR Max
02-28-2011, 11:03 PM
X2. FYI, all driveshaft stuff is pretty much the same stuff except for the ends where it bolts to the back of the transfer case and the axle. As long as those are good, a driveshaft shop can build you a new everything else.

Think about it: if you've got rusted pieces falling out of your driveshaft, that can't be good. Oh and usually a shop can custom build you something cheaper than a brand new one.

I Leak Oil
03-01-2011, 04:48 AM
There really isn't anything that keeps the splines from coming apart. That is dependant on the axle not flexing too much. As stated there isn't anything peculiar about the rover drive shaft. All spicer parts, very common stuff. It appears that what you have is the cap, washer that goes behind the cap and part of the wiper. You're correct in thinking it's job is to keep the grease in the splines. It also helps keep some water out but given the condition of yours I can see why it might be a little rusty in there.
Take the shaft to a shop that rebuilds them and they might be able to get you the new cork scrapers.

Donnie
03-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Last winter when i took the drive shafts apart to clean them up. A "C" clip and a fat cork looking washer came out the inside of the threaded cap on the sleeved ends of both drive shafts. One was rusted beyond saving and i still have the other that is in good shape (see picture) It seems like spring steel or something. I've called RN and several other places and no body knows about it. Its not listed in any parts or operation books either. It seems to me that its purpose is to hold the grease in from filling up the gators, while also keeping the shaft from coming in 2. Has anyone found a replacement for this?
When re-connecting your 2 shafts, if the splines are all evenly spaced, make sure that your shafts are in phase, that is all u joints are on the same plane. when the shaft is on the floor , all u joints should be facing the same way.......Donnie

masonater
03-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Update for anyone interested...Went to Republic Diesel and they had a kit from Spicer part# D3E dust cap kit. This has a new dust cap that threads right on to a rover drive shaft and the ring and cork washer to hold in the grease. Success!

siii8873
03-10-2011, 05:55 PM
The drive shafts I've worked on have alignment arrows on them for proper alignment.

jac04
03-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Interesting. The D3E has a "toothed" seal washer & retainer as shown in the first picture below. The D3A looks like the ones that I have seen on Rover propshafts (2nd picture).

masonater
03-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Interesting. The D3E has a "toothed" seal washer & retainer as shown in the picture below. The D3A looks like the ones that I have seen on Rover propshafts.

I know its not the same as the one i removed, but it works. Where did you find the one on the right with the toothless ring? Thats what i had been searching for until someone local recommended the diesel shop. 2 sets cost me 15 bucks.

Edit: just read the different part numbers, wish the guy had shown me that one first!

masonater
03-10-2011, 06:46 PM
The drive shafts I've worked on have alignment arrows on them for proper alignment.

Mine had those too, although you had to look real hard through all the rust. I punched new ones in for the future reference

masonater
03-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Interesting. The D3E has a "toothed" seal washer & retainer as shown in the first picture below. The D3A looks like the ones that I have seen on Rover propshafts (2nd picture).

Where were ya with that picture when I first asked! :)

jac04
03-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Where were ya with that picture when I first asked! :)
I only found it after you posted the Spicer p/n that you bought. :p I was thinking "what does that look like new" and "I better write that p/n down for future reference". So I googled the D3E and that lead me to the other one.

masonater
03-10-2011, 08:30 PM
I only found it after you posted the Spicer p/n that you bought. :p I was thinking "what does that look like new" and "I better write that p/n down for future reference". So I googled the D3E and that lead me to the other one.

I already installed one on the rear shaft, other one is still in the box. I'll go back to the store tomorrow and swap it out. The front shaft was the rusted nasty one, so i think the correct one will work better.

Winston-Rover
03-30-2011, 03:17 PM
I already installed one on the rear shaft, other one is still in the box. I'll go back to the store tomorrow and swap it out. The front shaft was the rusted nasty one, so i think the correct one will work better.

Did you ever go back to get the D3A and try it out? when I looked up the specs, the D3A had a slightly larger diameter.

I'm getting ready to order two kits; I want to make sure the D3A works first.

masonater
03-30-2011, 05:46 PM
Did you ever go back to get the D3A and try it out? when I looked up the specs, the D3A had a slightly larger diameter.

I'm getting ready to order two kits; I want to make sure the D3A works first.

Yup, i took out the one i installed cleaned off the grease and brought it back and asked for the D3A. When comparing the both, the dust cap on the D3A is larger than the D3E (which fits rover shafts) but the cork washer and retainer ring are exactly what i took out of mine during disassembly. The guy was nice enough to swap out the dust caps for me and send me on my way.

So what you need is the cork split washer and retainer ring from the D3A and the cap from the D3E.