PDA

View Full Version : Engine storage

siii8873
03-01-2011, 09:47 AM
I have an engine that I had the crank ground and new crank bearings.
I alubbed the crank journals and bearing with copious amounts of oil at install. The engine will not be installed for a few months. What is the best way to take care of this idle engine in the mean time.
My thought is to add some oil to the cylinders and turn it over by hand a few times every couple of weeks.
BTW anyone have the dog on the front of the engine that the hand crank engages into? My engine has a bolt installed there.

jac04
03-01-2011, 01:04 PM
For a few months you will probably be fine just letting it sit. However, it certainly wouldn't hurt to make sure it is filled (or even slightly over-filled) with fresh oil and oiling the cylinders & turning it over.

JimCT
03-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Go to a marine outboard motor place and get a can of spray fogging oil, turn the engine over as spray into the spark plug holes.

Cutter
03-01-2011, 04:54 PM
You can get fogging spray at any automotive store usually, I use it on our motorcycles each year. Not sure if it will be sitting long enough to warrant it, and I thought fogging was mostly for the carbs but not a bad idea.

LaneRover
03-01-2011, 05:53 PM
I am sure that someone on the forum would agree to temporarily keep it in their Rover for you and even to use it occasionally to keep the fluids moving around!

gudjeon
03-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Unless you leave it out in the rain, it sounds like you will be all right with your plan. When you go to fire it up, disable the ignition and crank with the starter until the oil pressure builds. Then when it gets fired up for the first time, oil will be present presto!:thumb-up: They run in oil all their lives - so this should not be anything new.