PDA

View Full Version : Series 1 headlight question

Bilbo42
03-02-2011, 10:02 PM
I hope someone has come across this before. I have the 1957 88" Series 1 and my left headlamp was blown when I got it. Both of the headlamps are marked GE 6012 and rated 50/40 watts. I guess they were the best available ones at the time of replacement, but I don't know whether or not they chose them for the fit or trying to get a low wattage like the Instruction Book says for the originals (42/36 watt). I am thinking they chose them for the low wattage in order not to burden or burn up the old Series 1 electrics. The 6012 is no longer available. The substitute is the halogen H6024 but it is 60/40 watts. As far as I can tell, my electrical system has not been upgraded with relays, etc for more powerful lights and right now, I really don't want to do that right now. The only changes to the electrical system that I am aware of is the guy before me changed it to negative earth, put on a new electric fuel pump, new coil and spark plugs. I still have the dynamo.

Does anyone know of a 7" sealed beam headlight with hi/low beam in the same unit that is a lower wattage than the H6024 above? I see our sponsor has the PLE639 but it does not give the wattage. Thanks and Best regards, Bilbo