PDA

View Full Version : rattle sound coming from clutch area, I think

masonater
03-03-2011, 06:48 PM
I have a call into RN, but in the mean time I thought I would ask around here.

The vehicle is a 1970 IIA 109 ex mod with 2a tranny (slave on right hand side). It was full of fluid and had about 45K, I never heard it in 10 years or so driving it until the last 2 years before i took it apart and it did sit most winters.

The noise: It sounds to me like a bunch of nuts or washers rattling fast inside a tin can coming from the clutch area (i think) and is in sync with the momentum of the truck (rattle slows down as the truck does) It has been years since i drove the truck so I cant remember if its only when i engage the clutch or just before and after shifting. It is very loud and a rover mechanic told me years ago what the problem was but for the life of me i cannot remember and he moved to new zealand, now MIA.

I know this is a vague question but im hoping someone has heard this noise before. I just had the flywheel skimmed and replaced the brass bushing because of some pretty good wear in the center of it. I have the trans on a table now and am ready to mate back to the motor but wanted to wait until i figure out what that sound was. I would probably go crazy after spending all this time and loot on the truck just to have the sound happen on its first voyage. If anyone has any ideas that would be awesome. Thanks!

Mason

bkreutz
03-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Sounds like a bad throwout (release) bearing to me. That should be a normal replacement part on a clutch job. (at least I always do)

masonater
03-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Sounds like a bad throwout (release) bearing to me. That should be a normal replacement part on a clutch job. (at least I always do)

Thats what I thought, but RN told me that being a roller bearing it hardly ever goes bad, like never. hhmmm.

I should probably replace it anyway while im this deep.