PDA

View Full Version : Bushing removal

albersj51
03-05-2011, 08:22 PM
I am rebuilding my leaf springs, which requires the removal of the old rubber bushings. I'm assuming mine were still The originals from 1967. I dreaded this, but it turned out to be fairly easy (for me at least).Thought id share how I was able to remove then fairly easy...all 8 took an hour or so. most may already do this, but didnt see it so thought id pass it along just in case I hit on something new.

I took a MAPP torch and put it on the rubber and watched it start flowing out like lava. I got the idea to do this...while still in lava form scrape it off, heat some more rubber out and scrape again. Then do the same thing, twice, to the other side. Then while still boiling hot, pour some PB Blaster on if. In a minute I could push the metal inner bushing out with a flat blade and very little pressure. Then I used a flat head to gentley work the rubber away from the spring sleave, get a second flat head and tweezed it out...viola, 5-10 min later and I had a clean sleave.

I hope someone finds this useful...of course, attempt at your own risk, and im not liable if you hurt or kill yourself.

east high
03-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Sounds like we're currently floating down the same river. I found removing the frame bushings to be a walk in the park compared to the spring bushings. I decided a local leaf spring shop would be a better option. 30 minutes of small talk and $10 is all they asked of me.