PDA

View Full Version : NA 2.5 diesel

JimCT
03-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Anyone running a NA 2.5 in their 109? Curious to find out what you think compared to the 2.25 thanks Jim

junkyddog11
03-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Mark (Safe air one) has one and it seems to go pretty well. I've run one for yrs in my 88 and I like it even though it is a noisy, smelly, slow thing that shakes every fastening loose with remarkable regularity. It does go better than it did with a 2.25.

JimCT
03-07-2011, 07:20 PM
That is just what i want to hear! The ambulance has lots more sound deadening than most series so that will be a help. I am interested in the 95 LWB with the diesel too, I just picked up a '95 LWB and it is a great truck. thanks Jim

SafeAirOne
03-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Mine does OK. I didn't really notice much (if any) difference between my 2.5NAD 109 station wagon and a friend's loaner 2.25P 109 pickup that I drove for a few weeks when mine was in the shop.

I thought I'd notice comparitively peppy acceleration in the 2.25 pickup, but that wasn't really the case. The only differences I really noticed were that the two and a quarter was (much) quieter, felt as smooth as silk, and loved to gulp fuel, compared to the diesel.

My 109 has always kept up with all the 2.25s on outings (unless there was a steep hill involved, that is). Not sure how it'd do with a heavier ambulance body on the back, but the MoD had the 2.5 powerplant in the "defender"-style ambulances, if I'm not mistaken...

SalemRover
03-08-2011, 06:55 PM
I have had a nice turner 2.25 that could get up to 70 on the highway and oodles of pep, and now a nice 2.5 in my 109. Having had the two I would not go back to the gasser. The acceleration is slightly less on the 2.5 but what makes it shine other than the fuel economy is that there is more torque through the whole RPM range. This is especially noticeable on the highway, where the 2.25 bogs down rather quickly and the 2.5 grunts through. This is not to say you wont slowdown on big hills, you will but it will be much less and happen alot slower. On the downside there is more noise but it can be tamed nicely. The biggest noise reducer is getting the intake out of the engine bay so I would recommend some sort of snorkel.