PDA

View Full Version : 2.25L Lacks power

Lowlandbear
03-07-2011, 07:20 PM
I had someone installed a rebuilt starter in my 2.25L gas, because I don't really want to be laying on the frozen ground.

It had been sitting for a few months and when I got it back it is really lacking power. I ran it a week ago and it was not great but OK, now it won't get up to 40 mph. It has no power.

All the plugs appear to be getting a good spark and it idles nicely, but when you accelerate, there is no umph? (Well, It used to have a little)

I was not using one of the tanks and I think the guys at the dealer may have run the old tank for awhile. Could it be the old gas just messed up the the carburator? I ran a little carburator cleaner, but the inside is pretty black, what can I do to help my poor friend out?

Thanks in advance,
James

badvibes
03-07-2011, 07:38 PM
A buddies Rover was doing the same thing, loss of power. Idled and ran great in the driveway but under load had become a pig. Compression in #2 and #3 cylinders was in the 50s on compression testing due to the head gasket failing between those cylinders. Can you check your compression?

Jeff

Nium
03-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Check throttle is opening all the way. Maybe they disconnected the throttle linkage for some reason.

gudjeon
03-08-2011, 06:44 AM
Do the usual and rule out the basics. Reset gap(s), timing, valve clearances, then start checking fuel pump output using new gasoline. The former has to be done at some time anyway so it pays to start here. Then you can rule out more complex problems once the basic tune up areas are covered. This is the time when I go into testing for compression problems and more in depth (and potentially more expensive scenarios). Also, if it can be a cheap fix, it can be done sooner than later.:thumb-up:

singingcamel
03-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Burnt valves can rob compression as well as tired valve springs.
Note above comment, go info and start there.
compression check will detect bad valves a headgasket issues.