PDA

View Full Version : Rear Tub Seatbelt Anchors

bronsonarlo
03-09-2011, 02:55 PM
I have a 1973 NAS 88" Series 3 that has(had) the 3 support brackets for the seat belts. These are the ones that are seen from inside the wheel well. I am in the process of repainting the tub and need to find the left side brackets. I know most just get rid of them altogether, but I'm trying to keep this original. If anyone has some that I could get from them please let me know.

Thanks, Michael

crankin
03-09-2011, 03:48 PM
I don't have any to give...but I can help you out with a reference pic.
Good luck!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_dcAzqvv_A6U/SotpsgPIawI/AAAAAAAAAb4/hxz733-Xm3g/s800/DSC03983.JPG

martindktm
03-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Humm cant help you...mine where a rotten as yours....so i removed them..

Apis Mellifera
03-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Did LR put these on or were they installed once they got to the US? (ie, did home market trucks have them?) Seems like they are more useful for rotting out giant holes in the wings than securing people. If I ever rebuild my tub, I will not replace them on my SIII.

crankin
03-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Did LR put these on or were they installed once they got to the US? (ie, did home market trucks have them?) Seems like they are more useful for rotting out giant holes in the wings than securing people. If I ever rebuild my tub, I will not replace them on my SIII.

Yes, from what I have learned about this....(but i am sure that Jac will correct me :))...this was a NAS thing. They are secured into the side of the tub using a lock and collar press method. Search the forum there are a few post about it.

I also had holes in mine.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_dcAzqvv_A6U/SotqHTCnCaI/AAAAAAAAAdM/Jtv_oKNPXmk/s800/DSC04003.JPG

I had to fix things up in the inside like so:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_dcAzqvv_A6U/Sotp_ArkSUI/AAAAAAAAAco/EGc11ub0aXw/s800/DSC03995.JPG

singingcamel
03-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Get rid of em, They'll cause corrosion on the rear tub.

bronsonarlo
03-10-2011, 09:45 AM
I was going to have some made, but the fabricators wanted $300.
I plan on having them galvanized and the underside of the tub is painted so rust will not be an issue. If anyone knows where I can find some please help!!!:)

martindktm
03-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Mine was pretty nice to because of those bracket.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_wprKvXHKgAQ/S_xvwWFZdmI/AAAAAAAAECg/d56lOi4wfW4/s800/IMG_0761.JPG

73series88
03-11-2011, 07:42 AM
mine were shot also
thought it it was a series 3 problem.
looking for a clean 2a tub
aaron

ScottT
03-25-2011, 12:31 AM
Those images so remind me the issues I had with my 74 I had years ago. I was using marine epoxy to fill the holes, sold the truck before I saw it completed. It occurred to me years later, spot welding panels in small patch panels in place and filling the gaps would have been a better way to go.

JackIIA
03-25-2011, 08:28 AM
weird. i'm pretty sure i don't have those on my IIA. Was that a III only thing???

why don't folks fabricate these out of aluminum? same with the seat box tray. i've seen rebuilds, including ecr, use steel. i don't get it. i know alum. is harder to weld, but avoids a big hassle it would seem. assuming you use some thick stuff for strength.

cedryck
03-25-2011, 04:13 PM
make some out of aluminum and get rid of the mix and matching of different metals, which causes corrosion.

Apis Mellifera
03-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Those are part of the seat belt fixings. The Feds required the seat belts and if I know the Feds (and I do), they probably tested then spec'ed exactly how and where they wanted them installed, how strong they should be, what materials, etc. If you simply wanted to replicate the part, aluminum would be fine. If you wanted to restrain people in an impact, you'd probably need a stronger material than aluminum. Of course, whatever you use would be stronger than rusted out steel.

Personally, I wouldn't bother replacing them. A Rover wasn't designed to keep people alive in a traffic accident.

TedW
03-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Just use wicked big washers to spread out the force.

"A Rover wasn't designed to keep people alive in a traffic accident." Apis is correct.