PDA

View Full Version : cross shaft wear....is this terribly abnormal?

kwd509
03-13-2011, 11:12 AM
Yesterday, I removed the clutch slave bracket and linkage from the transmission. I noticed something that requires assessment. First picture is the bearing that bolts to the bottom of the bracket where the shaft passes through the bracket to the clutch shaft. Note considerable wear.

My first thought was that this wear was simply a function of thousands of uses over the course of the car's life and that the uneven wear resulted simply from excessive use and gravity.

But the plot thickens.... the cross shaft itself is also worn at the bearing location.....see second picture. the wear pattern includes marks suggesting that even the bearing housing was rubbing on the shaft........ the third photo shows the bearing in its housing, sitting in the bracket (but w/o the felt washer that cinches the bearing in housing- it disintegrated when I opened the housing). The big question comes from the dent on the bottom of the bracket itself. It doesn't appear to have shifted things but the wear on shaft and bearing suggest otherwise.........:eek:

So the questions are:
is this normal wear or is it the result of the vehicle bottoming out on the slave cylinder bracket and throwing the alignment off? And if it is the latter,
a) should I just replace the bearing and sit tight for a number of years, or b) replace the bearing and shaft and sit tight for decades,
or c) is it clear that the replacement of all three parts (bearing, shaft AND bracket) is warranted.

Thanks for your help and insight.....

Jay

I Leak Oil
03-13-2011, 02:10 PM
These are 40+ year old vehicles that probably aren't taken care of for most of that time. I would consider that on the extreme end of normal. Replace what you can while you're there.

TeriAnn
03-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Yes these are normal wear items. I had to replace mine in the late 80's. There is supposed to be felt washers with the bronze bearing. When you get a new bronze bushing soak in in oil overnight so oil can get into the porous bronze. While you are at it check the two pins and collar for wear. Very little wear on these parts take up a lot of pedal movement.

kwd509
03-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks TeriAnn,
For oil soaking advice.

collar? A quick look at the part manual didn't help.
Can you elaborate?

TeriAnn
03-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks TeriAnn,
For oil soaking advice.

collar? A quick look at the part manual didn't help.
Can you elaborate?

That short tube that goes between your pictured crank and the arm for the throw out bearing. A tapered pin goes through each end of it. The holes have been known to elongate and the pins to wear.

kwd509
03-13-2011, 10:14 PM
thanks, I was looking/thinking in the other direction.

Terrys
03-14-2011, 07:15 AM
My first thought was that this wear was simply a function of thousands of uses over the course of the car's life and that the uneven wear resulted simply from excessive use and gravity.
Your first thought was correct. Most suppliers will sell you an Oilite bushing which is a vacuum impregnated with oil, sintered powdered metal bronze. They were originally simply cast bronze bushings.

stomper
03-14-2011, 11:33 AM
Looks like you are making a little headway on your dad's old truck! glad to see you didn't give up! Now that it is getting warmer, (at least it is in the Northeast) I'm sure you will be making a lot of headway. Care to give us an update to what you are working on, and how the project is progressing?:thumb-up:

kwd509
03-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Looks like you are making a little headway on your dad's old truck! glad to see you didn't give up! Now that it is getting warmer, (at least it is in the Northeast) I'm sure you will be making a lot of headway. Care to give us an update to what you are working on, and how the project is progressing?:thumb-up:

As you suggested, the project is slowed by the season. So here is an update......... My extremely limited knowledge is an equally big issue, but I'm having a great time, preparing for more advanced efforts, gaining a little knowledge and a little confidence. Spend lots of time looking at/examining parts to understand what I'm looking at.

On the way north pulling the rover I was found in Nyack NY by a fellow rover lover who happened to have a parts car, a near twin to mine, but with no motor, no engine but a very nice body. Long story short I have two now and will collapse them into one in the next year.

Rovers currently sit in deep snow with occasional visits. Hope to have nearby work space soon. To date, have removed and cleaned and painted pedal brackets, honed brake and clutch cylinders preparing for rebuild (but have second thoughts and on reflection may simply replace them). Removed wipers and restored/repaired them cleaning both gearing and electric motor sides all (4) now work. removed fuel tank and associated sender and hardware (it needs coating), Removed flooring and seat box, removed slave cylinder and shift lever. Reconditioned heater and reconditioned transmission brake lever assembly.

These things are figuratively and literally working around the edges of more important tasks, but provide a graduated learning process. It is scratching the surface. I've spent time fooling with derusting via rust converters (water soluble), POR15 and more recently playing with electrolysis as rust removal. Applied that with good effect to original tools, as a test. Find that quite intriguing and find the approach lets me do other things while it removes rust and years of road grime. Feel like a kid playing with a chemistry set!

If I can learn and actually accomplish more involved stuff during this year, Ill be quite satisfied. One of the main surprises is how slow and yet satisfying it is thus far. But, Wont feel like I've really begun until I tackle the clutch.

JackIIA
03-15-2011, 04:05 PM
What is the advantage of soaking in oil instead of just applying grease. that was my approach, i believe, when i rebuilt.

bkreutz
03-15-2011, 06:42 PM
What is the advantage of soaking in oil instead of just applying grease. that was my approach, i believe, when i rebuilt.

The sintered bronze is porous, soaking it kinda "fills it up":D, Although this might be a holdover from days gone by as I think most of the new stuff is "pre-soaked).

JackIIA
03-16-2011, 11:00 AM
OK. Thanks Gale. I'm guessing that as long as a bit of lubrication of some sort remains in there, it's A-OK. But something to remember next time it gets pulled.

Terrys
03-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Soaking it in oil isn't a bad idea, but I'm not sure how much good it does. It is impregnated when manufactured using a pretty high vacuum, so I can't imagine a static soaking will add much