PDA

View Full Version : how to bleed the slave cylynder???

glbft1
03-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Hello,
Am trying to bleed the slave on a 109 , i am opening up the valve having the pedal pushed down to the floor and then closing, just seems that is taking along time it gets fluid for a little bit then nothing..... are these a true pain in the a.... does it take a long time to bleed these??

Thanks
Greg

Jim-ME
03-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Greg,
When I bled mine, in the beginning I pumped the clutch pedal until I felt resistance and then pushed the pedal to the floor one last time before opening the bleeder. As time went on the resistance came with fewer pumps until I got good amounts of fluid out of the slave and ultimately no air. IIRC it took 15 to 20 minutes. I did this all while lying across the front seat so I could do it by myself.
Jim

artpeck
03-13-2011, 01:19 PM
I bled mine on my 88. Assume it isnt materially different. Was easy. A few pumps brought fluid through and pumped a few more times to clear all the air out. Are you sure you don't have a master cylinder issue? Or that the bleed valve isn't open enough or is clogged? There is so little volume in the pipe relative to the displacement in the master piston that you should get fluid in volume very quickly.

stomper
03-13-2011, 03:08 PM
I just replaced my slave cylinder yeasterday, and had no difficulty bleeding the air out. Like Jim says, build up the pressure with the pedal, and then hold it to the floor. Crack the bleeder screw, and then tighten the bleeder screw before you let off the pedal. I had the floors, tunnel cover etc. out to change the slave cylinder, so bleeding was a very easy one person job. It was harder to put it all back together. 5 hours start to finish with one person only.

zebrarover
03-13-2011, 08:01 PM
When I bleed the slave cylinder on my series iia truck a few weeks ago I had my 8 year old son push the clutch pedal while I was under the truck opening the bleed screw (all 4 tires were chucked before I put the 8 yr old in the driver seat). He loved helping dad on rover and it only took several mins to get it done. The hardest thing about the whole job was getting my son to keep the pedal pressed to the floor while I tightened the bleed screw.

When I did this, I couldn't get the bleed screw to open using my spanner through the access hole on the right side of the bulkhead. Does anyone have any suggestions on doing this or is it just easier to do it from below?

Thanks,
Seth

LaneRover
03-14-2011, 08:01 AM
When I bleed the slave cylinder on my series iia truck a few weeks ago I had my 8 year old son push the clutch pedal while I was under the truck opening the bleed screw (all 4 tires were chucked before I put the 8 yr old in the driver seat). He loved helping dad on rover and it only took several mins to get it done. The hardest thing about the whole job was getting my son to keep the pedal pressed to the floor while I tightened the bleed screw.

When I did this, I couldn't get the bleed screw to open using my spanner through the access hole on the right side of the bulkhead. Does anyone have any suggestions on doing this or is it just easier to do it from below?

Thanks,
Seth

I know folks who take a wrench (spanner if you must) and cut it down to size and it becomes their 'clutch wrench'. Break it open using a non cut down wrench and then open and close it for the bleeding operation using the cut down one. Fully tighten with the full size wrench.

bobzinak
03-14-2011, 11:42 AM
You must slacken the wheel cyls on the wheel your bleeding so that you minimize the volume inside the cyl. so back off on the adjustment and then bleed cyl. it states so in my workshop manual. the white ones..you are not the first to post this problem..RN used to have a forum search, so you could look back at previous inquires..hope this helps..

Terrys
03-14-2011, 12:15 PM
You must slacken the wheel cyls on the wheel your bleeding so that you minimize the volume inside the cyl. so back off on the adjustment and then bleed cyl. it states so in my workshop manual. the white ones..you are not the first to post this problem..RN used to have a forum search, so you could look back at previous inquires..hope this helps..
He's bleeding his clutch, not his brakes.

gudjeon
03-14-2011, 02:07 PM
I found the clutch slave would gravity bleed on its own. It wasn't very fast, just put on a tube into a jar and take the reservoir cap off. Have a few beer in the meantime and watch it go!:thumb-up:

Terrys
03-14-2011, 03:48 PM
I found the clutch slave would gravity bleed on its own. It wasn't very fast, just put on a tube into a jar and take the reservoir cap off. Have a few beer in the meantime and watch it go!:thumb-up:
I agree, and have always gravity bled the clutch, except I don't even bother with the jar, just open the bleed screw wide open and let it drip. It only takes a minute or so, and I don't drink beer that fast.

gudjeon
03-14-2011, 09:01 PM
You should always bleed a beer faster!:rolleyes: